Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found in our local classifieds a set of 4 airbags (14" total unloaded travel), a tank and compressor for $100.

I have been looking for a cheap airbag system for use as helpers in the rear, or possibly to lift the truck all around.

If I bought these airbags, can you buy the mounts themselves for a airbag-over-leaf setup, or to replace the springs completely, or do you have to buy the bags and all as a kit?

Would it be cheaper to buy a kit, whether than buying all the mounts separately?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Was hoping to go look at these tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'd be more worried about the diamiter of the bags. if its just helper springs than youd be ok with a 6inch or so bag. if your tryin to build a bagged suspension then you want a pretty large diamiter bag it will make it ride a lot nicer and use less pressure to operate. you might be able to find mounts at the AIM industries web site. hope this info helps

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be more worried about the diamiter of the bags. if its just helper springs than youd be ok with a 6inch or so bag. if your tryin to build a bagged suspension then you want a pretty large diamiter bag it will make it ride a lot nicer and use less pressure to operate. you might be able to find mounts at the AIM industries web site. hope this info helps
Thanks for the help. Do you think it would be cheaper to buy as a kit, or buy these, then mounts and all separate?

·
Registered
384 Posts
just my .02 but a compressor and tank can run you $300-$400 so that alone is a good deal

·
Registered
802 Posts
ya i agree with zin 100 bucks bucks for bags tank and compressor. is a steal. airbagit.com has the front and rear mounts for 129.00 a set i just looked. for 2wd most likely.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, went and picked them up today. They are 4 of the "Airride by Firestone" bags. I need to look and see if they printed a model number on them. They look pretty heavy duty, but that might not be a bad thing. I also got the tank and compressor. The guy said that the little motor on the tank or compressor might be bad, but for now I could even air them up manually.
I figured for $100, if I couldn't use them, I'm sure I could sell them and at least get my money back. He said they have never been used.
I will have to post a picture later to see if anyone has anything similiar.
$260 in mounts is definately a lot cheaper than a full bag system with mounts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
802 Posts
ya like i said they are probly 2wd mounts. they might have the 4x4 ones or you might have to make some. i have the the 5in. dia. bags (2500) and the 6in dia. (2600) bags on my 2wd dakota. also have some monsters rated for 18,000 pounds per bag on a double axle trailer. put up some pics lets see them!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some pictures...

As for mounts, I am thinking about putting these on my 2WD Ram. :thumbsup:

Let me know what you guys think about the bags, etc.

·
Registered
802 Posts
looks good i see lots of posibilities with them. got any measurements diameter, length

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks good i see lots of posibilities with them. got any measurements diameter, length
Thanks. I will get some measurements tomorrow morning as I put them down in my bottom shed.

Is there a good website or somewhere I can get some more info on building an air bag suspension?

What I would like to do is install these to be used as a lift kit type thing. I'm not sure how I should go about doing this though. Should I mount these over the leaves in the rear, and inside or in place of the coils in the front? Should I use these in place of all the suspension?

I want to get a good lift off these, but on the other hand, I've heard it might be better to run bags as a supplement so if something went wrong with one, I wouldn't be stranded.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also found that the compresor is a Hadley compressor. I think it came in a package with the tank like this:

Hadley

I didn't get any of the extra connections though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
if your gunna use those in a whole suspension, your going in a full custom direction. it may not be cheap so be prepared to spend some money. if you can weld and fabricate it will save you tons. for info and or parts or even ideas check out Kelderman Air Ride or AirBagIt.com - Air Suspension Kits, Mini-Truck Parts, Sport Compact Parts! Airride, Airsprings, Towing Kits, Lambo Vertical Doors, Airbags. you may even have to piece the lift together with parts from thuren or carli. puting those with the stock suspension is gunna limit the travle of the bags, you'll only gain a few inches of lift, and the ride would be really stiff.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Wow! Great find!!!

They actually look very similar to the Carli LT airbags. At 14" of travel, I think those will work really well! Have you been able to find a weight rating, or pressure rating for them?

Here's some pics of the Carli setup I installed if you're interested. It may give you some ideas for mounting. FWIW, the Carli bags are "AirRide by Firestone" as well.

I went with an Air Zenith compressor, because it's 100% duty cycle, good for over 150 psi, is fully rebuildable, and can be exposed to the elements (unlike Viair).

Again, great find!!

--Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts