Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow im about to give up...:banghead::banghead: I have replaced upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rods and drag link, trac bar bushings, Sway bar end link bushings... I guess it has to be the shocks...almost 195k on timer..they do look like stock shocks....Im getting tired of throwing $$ at this thing. Is there a way to tell if they are bad? the rubbers look fine in them and if i bounce the truck while sitting still I get no noise....only when I hit a bigger bump or pull into my driveway a lil to fast...

Reactions: nates71

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would recheck the torque specs on the front shocks at the lower mount. The lower
mount should be torqued to 105 ft/lbs of torque. If you are below this spec, the lower mount of the shock will shift in the clevis bracket and contact the mounting bolt. This can produce an audible clunk when you hit bumps. If the bottom bolt is at the right torque spec I would say you have a bad shock. I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago. It ended up being my driver-side front shock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the same clunk noise, my ball joints were bad so replaced all of them, but yes my clunk comes under my feet it almost feel like the tanny its loose, might be my front right shock, when I go underneath and try to find something and shaking things up everything looks normal, I will check the torques on those bolts.

·
You could check for play in your steering shaft. Mine was getting just a little bit loose and it drove me insane trying to track it down. I even replaced it with a Borgeson shaft and after a while that shaft got just a hair of sloppiness and the feeling came back so I coated the inner shaft in heavy black silicone and no issues since.

·
Registered
655 Posts
control arm bushings... mine i KNEW were out and i had the clunk.. new bushings. no clunk

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had that problem, turned out to be the sway bar end link ball joints. Wasn't much play at first but they gradually got worse til I finally found it. Sounded like it was right under my feet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
mine were the sway arm bushings themselves. took awhile to find after trying other things and ready to burn the truck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mine was the Pro Comp MX-6 shocks. Replaced with Monroe's. quiet as a mouse and rides better too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thats what i went to the monroe reflex, great ride and quiet

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to try to check the control arm bushings today.....whats the best way to check them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
try to get as much tension off em as possible.. i had the truck level and just went under and gave em a good shaking up an down at every end... just about all mine were bad.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
try to get as much tension off em as possible.. i had the truck level and just went under and gave em a good shaking up an down at every end... just about all mine were bad.
thanks so much! Im betting they are a bear to put in also LOL

They dont look good.....so i just read that you cannot buy just the bushings is that true?

·
Registered
655 Posts
im not sure about the stockers? but i was able to replace just the bushings on my superlift control arms

·
Diesel Head
1,546 Posts
Brother, if you've got 195k on stock shocks you are WAY over their useful lifespan. Change them... now.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
Brother, if you've got 195k on stock shocks you are WAY over their useful lifespan. Change them... now.
Not for a highway truck really. I changed the stockers off of mine at 266k. They were not shot either.

·
Registered
467 Posts
:agree2::agree2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya that's what I was thinking. I bought the truck used and the guy did a TON of driving from OK to TX and back. So I've been replacing stuff as I can afford it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can buy just the control arm bushings at napa and rockauto.com. You can find the track arm bushings there too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just did the track are bushings the other day...I did see that I can get the Control are bushings...so that and shocks are next on the list!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts