Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cummins, 1990 d250 at 2wd, 50k miles.

runs the battery dead, alt checked and charging, has a new voltage reg, (but ? when)

when it is cranked runs ok 14... volts then 10.. then 14.. then 10 and so on untill the battery dies and truck shuts down, also the wait to start light doesn't come on when starting. i have a notion that what was wrong the first time is still the problem and was attempted to be fixed with a new voltage reg and most likely burned it up.

after it is warm it stays at 10 volts or so. i did a olm and voltage test on the manifold air sensor and heater block.
the heat relays have power to one side and not the other. disconnected that system and problem is still there. help.

jim

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I don't wanna claim to know what your issue is but maybe it's a ground?

I had a similar problem with my truck. It would charge but not all the time and the voltmeter would sometimes hop around from 9-10 volts to 14 ish and most of the time it would also kind pulsate when it was charging. The battery would often be kinda low when I started it every day but I thought it was the battery dying and near the end of things the lights would dim from time to time. Now that I swapped my cab (the old one was exttremely rusted) I don't seem to have any issue with it anymore. At least not that I've noticed. The battery seems to keep it's charge just fine and the voltmeter is steady and so are the lights. I didn't do anything to fix it, but I swapped my cab and had to disconnect mostly everything electrical and reconnect it when the other cab was on so I'm taking a shot in the dark and saying maybe you got a bad ground somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is my fathers truck so when he got it the grounds were the first thing i checked and added some more, i had a 99 cummins with many mods, dyno'd at 440 rwhp, 890 ft.lb torque.:thumbsup, so i have tested the power to the voltage reg and have 12.72v when ignition on. reg also has independant ground, altinator is new, as is the battery, the regulator is new also but did not replace yet, we are ordering one, does any one have the olm spec. for the regulator?

thanks for the responses
jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is my fathers truck so when he got it the grounds were the first thing i checked and added some more, i had a 99 cummins with many mods, dyno'd at 440 rwhp, 890 ft.lb torque.:thumbsup, so i have tested the power to the voltage reg and have 12.72v when ignition on. reg also has independant ground, altinator is new, as is the battery, the regulator is new also but did not replace yet, we are ordering one, does any one have the olm spec. for the regulator?

thanks for the responses
jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIXED regulator dead, who ever installed it, left ground out, so i put independant ground in. new regulator and charging at 14.95volts:thumbsup

thanks
jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts