Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put 2 new batteries in the truck today, (2014 Laramie 6.7), the truck wouldn't start this morning, both batteries tested bad (10ish volts on the meter and at the parts store machine) and one was leaking so I figured it was time, they were original to the truck. I was showing 14v originally and now it's down to 13v while running. Think it's my alternator going bad or is something else amiss? Only electrical I've done to it is I've added some LED lights controlled by magnetic switches in the toolbox and the bed. According to the video I took in the toolbox the lights do turn all the way off as do the ones in the bed but maybe they're still drawing power? Kindof at a loss here

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
From your description you fixed it with the batteries, nothing wrong with the alternator.
Very often the readout in the dash will only show 13v because it doesn't show tenths of a volt, so it will show 13v all the way up until it pops over to 14v, it could be actually putting out 13.9v.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know, I was wondering (last trucks all had analog gauges for everything) so I was thinking "oh, here weeee go put 450 worth of batteries in it only to not fix it" lol

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My old battery charger took a dump last week so I bought a new one.

Since my truck had been mostly sitting for the last 6 weeks, I charged the batteries.

At first, the voltmeter read 14 volts, then the next day settled down to 13 with an occasional journey to 14 depending on RPM, A/C, fan, stereo, lights, wipers

I'd say you're okay.

There's also a readout on your EVIC that can show you if the charge rate is jumping around. If it's steady, you're fine

·
US ARMY Retired
846 Posts
His is a 2014 and may not have the read out like you mention....and as already mentioned (2014/2015) they only have whole numbers no decimals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts