Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently put a 93 12v into a 1970 gmc. need help getting charging system running. i was using a 70 gm external voltage regulator and i dont know if it crapped out or what. was running 14.3v now couple weeks later is 17.5v Did the alternator cook the regulator or what have others done?

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Yes thats a possibility but it seems that maybe a rectifier or diode went bad, usally when this happens(high voltage) some of the rectifiers or diodes go bad and do not convert ac to dc.

·
Joel's Diesel
1,271 Posts
G

·
That is what I used as well. Just go to napa or your parts houe of choice and get an ex reg for a 1978 dodge truck.

·
Joel's Diesel
1,271 Posts
PS, think you do have to ground the housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya took old regulator to place purchased from and it was wrecked. tried another and it got way too hot in 5 min of running time and voltage started to drop. so i shut it down and hes gonna get me a heavy duty one for a 130 amp alternator. the old one was only good for 60 amp alternator so this should work. i guess we will see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts