Cummins Diesel Forum banner

charging/starting issues please help

1442 Views 14 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Baxpilley24
i had a fusible link issue a couple weeks ago. i replace the fusible link with an inline fuse. now my battery is draining for some reason. my old battery was at 4.96 bolts so i got a new marine 800 cca battery.

that worked to get me home and the next morning to school but when i went to go to work the truck wouldnt crank over. so i went and i got a new alternator and charged the battery to 12.6 volts.

when i started the truck up with the new alternator the multimeter only read 12.1 volts. i know its supposed to read 14 im just stumped and not too good with electrical stuff

just put a getrag in my truck i want to get this ironed out so i can get to driving my new 5 speed

any info is greatly appreciated
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A 92 has the regulator for the alternator built into the ECM unless a PO has put a external regulator on. So you need to let us know if you have a external regulator.

Are all your grounds clean and tight?
are you talking about specific grounds? or just every ground i can find. cause im not super familiar with auto electrical stuff. i installed my isspro gauges,my FASS, my radio and speakers. but thats about it.

sorry just starting to learn all the technical stuff.
All grounds, battery to engine, and body grounds.
ok thank you. after the grounds what would i do next? thanks
If it still won't charge after that you need to see if you have a external regulator installed by a PO ( previous owner).

If you could post a picture of the back of your alternator we could probably tell if it's the stock ECM or a external regulator.
heres the picture of my alternator. the guy that just helped me do my getrag swap said he could find a regulator on mine.
If your alternator is new and good then the regulator in the ECM must be bad.

Check your air gap on the CPS to make sure it's set right, http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/8...95-93-dodge-need-help-please.html#post6478939
what do you use to check the air gap?
I use feeler gauges probably have to put 2 of them together to get close to .050
guys i am having the same problem. i just took my alternator off a few moments ago. going to take it to get it checked tomorrow. if the alternator is good then i must have screwed up my sensor when i took it off
guys i am having the same problem. i just took my alternator off a few moments ago. going to take it to get it checked tomorrow. if the alternator is good then i must have screwed up my sensor when i took it off
Are you talking about the CPS when you say sensor? If so did you set the air gap?
yeah the cps, i mistakingly set the air gap to .5 and .05 so i hope that clears up the problems.
let me know if that solves the problem i just did a getrag swap and i wanna start driving my new 5 speed. thanks
finally got the cps all hooked up and now im chargin like i was from san diego.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.