Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did an engine overhaul and am now getting back to recharging the AC.

2 questions:
Is the charge port for the early 04 model on the accumulator near fire wall on passengers side?

Do I have to add anything besides freon? Do I need to add some kind of oil? and if so does it also go into the accumulator?

Thank you

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Pag oil goes in the compressor. I don't remember if it goes anywhere else. You should take it to a shop if you don't have the proper tools to recharge your AC. These systems are very picky and need to be filled by weight.

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
166 Posts
If you did not drain the oil out of any of the old parts or change any parts then there is no need to add additional oil, if you do it displaces the refrigerant and can lead to other issues.

If the system has been left open to air for a long time then its possible that the desiccant in the accumulator has become moisture logged along with the oil, and should be put under vacuum for an extended period of time to boil off any moisture in the system.

Its better to charge the system using a manifold using both suction and discharge gauges to monitor what is going on with the system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts