Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Changing the fuel filter

975 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  breeves
i have a question, when i changed my fuel filter i drained the fuel cup into a clean glass jar, replaced the filter, and poured the diesel back into the fuel cup, started the truck without any problems, or any need to prime the system, are there any problems with this method?
Thanks
Branden
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
i think you need to prime the system in order to get the air out so you can start the truck, but in your case you do not have any problem to start the truck then i think just leave it along and dont worry about it. And if it was my truck i rather using a new fresh diesel instead of reused the old diesel, Just my 2cent:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
You did well. Most of time some air gets trapped in top. I use bump start with cover loose. As solid fuel starts flowing out, the cover is tightened.

· Registered
585 Posts
i second the clean diesel..... I always used some from a 1 gallon jug I kept around for that purpose, that bowl collects the dirt and water out of the system thus pouring it back into the bowl just recontaminates the bowl.. the drain valve in the base is there to drain the water out of the system, but is also used for draining the bowl enough to change the filter,,,, my filter is relocated to the rear next to the Raptor. Cummins Fleetguard 1212 filter water separator off an Over the Road Truck,,, thus I tossed the last of those little expensive filter packs that go in that bowl, its now just a fuel heater.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.