Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i talked to a buddy i know about his truck long story short i asked him about paint i know what im getting and im painting my truck. Now couple questions ive heard of people just sanding down the dash and painting in thats what i was going to do, question is should i use primer ? Also about our doors the fabric and plastic well the plastic i will do the same thing but any way of changing the color of the fabric ? I hear the fabric paint leave blotches and streaks just looking for other ways thanks. Last question is im going to do black with a green stripe, how do you guys think my red boots for my shocks ect. will look with it. Also the badges for my truck should i just redo the "cummins turbo diesel" in red ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone at all ?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump anyone got anything to say ??

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would use a self etching primer of some sort. And with the fabric maybe you could take is somewhere but that might get $$$$.. And for the red boots I know summit sells different color ones make pick up some green ones but again that more $$$.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked there $2.75-$3.50 or so a boot at lordco if i remeber right there about $10-20 a piece ill just get them off summit or in the U.S somewhere for like $3.00 as for the dash im just going to sand it down and all plastics and put two coats of primer on and 3-5 of paint and be done with it. Im going to buy seat covers but does anyone know where to get covers for our bench seats ? As for the little bit of fabric on the doors ive been told you use duplicolor fabric paint and that it looks and turn out good

·
Registered
458 Posts
i bought this roll of carbon fiber im planning on putting on around the dash (sort of like wall paper). I think it will look pretty awesome. When i do install it i think i will have the windshield removed to make installing this a whole lot easier. If you are painting the dash i think u should do the same.

·
Registered
155 Posts
yes, you need to use primer on your dash. LOTS OF IT. I sanded my entire dash smooth, and probably had about 30 hours into it when it was finished. Use a high build primer so that you make sure all of the texture (if any is left) gets filled. I block sanded my dash with 320 grit after primer, then wet sanded with 600. I believe I used 80 grit on a DA to get the majority of the texture off.

For your door fabric, your better off pulling the inserts off the door panels and having them reupholstered professionally. Find a fabric you like or stop by an upholstery shop and see what you like.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i bought this roll of carbon fiber im planning on putting on around the dash (sort of like wall paper). I think it will look pretty awesome. When i do install it i think i will have the windshield removed to make installing this a whole lot easier. If you are painting the dash i think u should do the same.
i saw that stuff i was thinking of using it but i doubt i will.... but it does look cool

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, you need to use primer on your dash. LOTS OF IT. I sanded my entire dash smooth, and probably had about 30 hours into it when it was finished. Use a high build primer so that you make sure all of the texture (if any is left) gets filled. I block sanded my dash with 320 grit after primer, then wet sanded with 600. I believe I used 80 grit on a DA to get the majority of the texture off.

For your door fabric, your better off pulling the inserts off the door panels and having them reupholstered professionally. Find a fabric you like or stop by an upholstery shop and see what you like.

Did you pull the dash off or how did you go about painting it ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
i wouldnt even sand it down i would just scotch bright it and primer then paint if you sand it you not gonna get down where it is textured unless you sand all the texture out of it thats my opinion
I don't think you'll get enough adhesion to make it a durable finish if you scotch brite only. I wanted to NEVER have a peeling dash coating, or have it chip/flake off so I took the whole dash down until it was flat.

I pulled the dash (it can be done without pulling the glass, but it's a pain in the . Easiest way is to use a pick to pull the weather stripping up so you can see the bolts, then just make a horizontal slit in the weather strip with a razor where each bolt is. Once you do this, you can access them through the slit and pull your dash. It's easier to pull the column, or at least your steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking just pulling the gauges and all thats i can pull and all the trim and plastic in the truck and paint it and then just leave the main part of the dash in the truck mask everything off and mask the window off really really well and spray....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Trust me, if you want to be happy with the end product, do it right and pull the dash. I'll post some pictures in a little bit if I get a chance

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok please do

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
see thats what i mean very fuc*king nice can you tell me step by step what you did ? Also do you think it is totally necessary to take the whole dash off ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
That looks nice Jdunn!

For my truck I have been covering my interior in black vinyl. I've never liked the texture of plastic, it just feels cheap. Plus the vinyl covers the cracks and since it is a nice marine vinyl it makes the interior a bit nicer.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got any pics of the vinyl ??

·
Registered
155 Posts
That looks nice Jdunn!

For my truck I have been covering my interior in black vinyl. I've never liked the texture of plastic, it just feels cheap. Plus the vinyl covers the cracks and since it is a nice marine vinyl it makes the interior a bit nicer.
Thanks! I've been thinking about going vinyl... I want to update my interior so that it looks a bit more modern. My next project once I get the garage built is reconstructing the interior trim out of fiberglass, or maybe ABS if I can get setup for plastic work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
see thats what i mean very fuc*king nice can you tell me step by step what you did ? Also do you think it is totally necessary to take the whole dash off ?
STEP 1: Disconnect your battery
STEP 2: Tear out all of the items that connects your dash to the chassis (you can look in a FSM if you don't know, it will give you a little insight as to where stuff is)
STEP 3: Clean your dash once its out of the truck. I use Kleanstrip Wax and grease remover.
STEP 4: Sand your dash down with 80 grit on a dual action sander. once the heavy texture is knocked down, go over that with 180 grit.
STEP 5: Blow off the dash with some compressed air, then clean it again with wax and grease remover.
STEP 6: Use plastic adhesion promotor prior to applying primer. This will ensure you get a good bond between the primer and plastic.
STEP 7: Spray primer evenly over all the dash surfaces. I usually use an epoxy primer because it is very high build and is super durable. 3 Coats minimum will give you the best final surface.
STEP 8 : Use guide coat once the primer is dry (google guide coat if you don't know what it is) Block your primer with 240 or 320 on a sanding block. once this is completed and your highs/lows are smoothed out, re-guide coat and wet sand with 600 grit. The guide coat will show where your scratches are at.
STEP 9: Dry your dash and clean it with wax and grease remover again. Get your "booth" setup for painting and make it as clean/dust free as possible.
STEP 10: Paint your smooth dash with your choice of fine automotive paints!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts