Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found out my truck has 342 gears and limited slip and i am wanting to switch to 373 and posi anyone know where i can get parts and if 373's would be better for more of a performance minded vehicle

·
Registered
897 Posts
Bullets

found out my truck has 342 gears and limited slip and i am wanting to switch to 373 and posi anyone know where i can get parts and if 373's would be better for more of a performance minded vehicle
'Limited Slip' and 'Posi' are pretty much the same thing..There are true 'Locker' Diffs out there, but they aren't too friendly on the street...The 3.73's are a good overall ratio depending on the size of your tires, but if you have stock rubber, you don't need to change-just Me..I'm runnin' 4.10's because I have 34" tires and they work well for me...anyway, I'm sure you'll get more 'advice' from others..Have a good one..JD

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running 34in tires and just thinkig bout gaining more low end so I was thinkig 373s And ditching the limited slip

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would have to agree that with your set-up, the 3.73's would be a good fit...Why ditch the limited-slip? It would be more economical to just change ring gear and pinions and bearings and leave the case alone..again, just Me..

·
Smells like Bananas
7,232 Posts
I am getting ready to pull my 373 gears to go in with 456. I have about 90k miles on them and they have been running in Royal Puple for the past 80k miles. The oil was changed about 20k ago. Make me a offer and tose in a little extra for shipping.

Sent from my iPaddle yo Sister using TapaDat

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would keep the limited slip. I also would use your terrain as your decision maker for your gears. I went with 3.73 limited slip and wish now I would have went 4.10. I am running 2 lane highway a lot with many slight uphill and down hill grade changes and I truthfully think the 4.10 would do a lot nicer based on what I have seen by running in 5th gear experimenting.

·
Tech support junkie
4,938 Posts
YFZ take it to greensburgh machine and driveline. They do alot of the pulling trucks rears around here and probably would be cheaper cause unless you have a dial in dicator and the knowledge to set up pinion depth backlash ect and to boot LSD is not the easiest thing to deal with they will set you up.

Heres there # 724-837-8233

·
Tech support junkie
4,938 Posts
Also im running this 48re swap and a 3.42s. I cruise around 70 1800rpm. generally i perfer taller gearing casue it helps with fuel mileage and i run 50mph on these back roads keep the tc locked and run 3rd at 2000rpm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts