Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't found a whole lot of detailed information about how ppl have been changing their fuel filters - the article on this site says to "bump" the engine a couple of times letting the lift pump cycle in between to prime the fuel system...

on the 6.4L powerchokes the procedure just involves turning the key to the "ON" postion to make the pump cycle and prime the fuel system...

my question is - is it neccessary to "bump" our engines?? I hear x2 noises when I turn my key - the intake heater grid and another "humming" I am assuming is the lift pump??? I just changed the fuel filters in my 08 powerchock and 07 Cummins this evening and I was wondering???

·
Registered
10,351 Posts
When its really cold out the LP will run with the grid heater, and no starter bump is needed.. but if its warm out the starter bump is needed.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
All I have to do on my 04 is turn the key on with no starter "bump". Pump comes to life just fine. I only do it once too. Never have had an issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see... i was just curious because i was thinking if the starter bump is not required that just be putting uneccessary strees on the CP3.

this hprc injection system is all new to me, pretty damn sweet too - i'm an industrial engines mechanic but all i work on are natural gas and mechanically injected engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts