Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

changing front shocks on 4x4 ?'s

1015 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  TruckerBZ
ok so this is my first dodge...i am in dire need of new front shocks. My question is: do I need a spring compressor to change them? Should I plan on spending the day doing these or is it rather painless? This isnt my first rodeo with doing mechanical work...just to a dodge:party018:
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,939 Posts
no spring compressor.... you will just need to remove the bolt from the bottom of the shocks...( will go thru the frame) there is a hole just big enough for your socket to run thru to get to the bolt. remove that and then you will need to remove the 3 bolts from the tower on the top of the shock and the tower will come right out up thru the springs.. then you will need to remove the nut from the top of the shock and seperate the shock from the tower. then reinsert shock into coils and put bolt in bottom of shock and tighten down... then put the tower on the shock and then compress down and put the 3 nuts back on the tower and do the same for the opposite side.

Note: it may be easier to remove the tower from the drivers side before you try and pull the shock and all out

· Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool Beanz thanks! just to make sure...were talking about a 2nd gen not a 3rd right? LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.