Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good brands of axle lube to go with?Also do they have gaskets or do you just permatex the cover back on & to what torque spec? I've never changed axle lube before,but it seems to be fairly simple.Any steps or tips at all would be appreciated.Thanks guys!

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
take the cover off...spary it out with brake clean inspect the gears and carrier make sure everything looks good clean the gasket surface but i nice bead of black silicone on the cover slap it on tourque it down...im running amsoil 75-140 synthetic severe gear..its easy man:thumbsup:

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
You should drive it a bit before pulling it. Helps with the drain if the oil is warm.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
What are some good brands of axle lube to go with?Also do they have gaskets or do you just permatex the cover back on & to what torque spec? I've never changed axle lube before,but it seems to be fairly simple.Any steps or tips at all would be appreciated.Thanks guys!
I just use standard ol' clear silicone sealer.

I run the truck at highway speeds for 15-30 miles get it nice and hot and pull the covers off. Let then drain as much as you can. Then using a rag wipe the bottom out looking for metal debris and get the last bit of gear lubr out.

Clean both faces. Put a bead of silicone sealer down on the cover and bolt it up. I use a air ratchet so I don't bother to check torque it tight... Then I fill the diff up with 80W-90 gear lube and fill it it till it running out the hole. So next time I check the fluid it should run out the hole...

143K miles and stil no problem with my axles. I change the fluid every 30K miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did this two days ago for the first time. I used mopar 75-90 outta paranoia. Super easy. warm up with a drive drain srpay with brake kleen or a generic brand, clean yer check plug, ensure gaskets are in good shape, put er all back together filler up, spray the outside w/ brake kleen to be sure it is dry and free of oil, go for a boot and check for leaks. it's about 4 ltrs in the rear and about 3 ltrs in the front. good luck don't be scared.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts