Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Change Trans fluid?

21K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  towsit4x4 
#1 ·
Ive got a 04.5 3500 automatic trans. I bought the truck with about 45000 miles on it. As far as I know the trans fluid has never been changed an according to Dodges service manual it says to do it at around 30k? I now have about 55k on the truck. Is it worth it to change it or just leave? Ive heard sometimes changing it can cause more problems.....
No mods on the truck as of now just put on 35's.

#2 ·
i changed out the cherry juice in mine when i bought it i didn take the dealers word for it that it was good. now my mechanic that i see told me that the drain and fill you should put back in what was taken out he said somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 1/2 to 6 qts depends on how long you have the pan and filter off.

#3 ·
Funny this topic was on here. My truck is at the dealership right now getting the tranny looked at and they asked me since it was in there already if I wanted to do the 30,000 mile tranny service. I think he said fluid, filter and flush. They were gonna charge me $260.

What all is involved to do this?

And should I?

Miles are at 30,5xx

#6 ·
$260 is a pretty good deal. granted you can do it all yourself minus the flushing which is relatively simple only, you have to have the machine to do it so i suggest if you haven't had it serviced yet, have it serviced and then from there every 30k change the fluid and filter and go.

#7 ·
Fluid should be changed every 30,000 not by a pan drop but by a fluid exchange 18 quarts in a 48re so exchange 20 quarts to get every last drop. be sure to use a cleaner before exchange and a conditioner after the exchange. I recomend Justice brothers Automatic Transmission Service because I know it works.

#8 ·
Here it what it cost me to have mine serviced. Trans filter from Dodge parts dept $21.00. Buying 7 Qts of Amsoil Synthetic ATF Retail price $70.00. Dodge to do the trans service $75.00. Sales Tax $11.62 for a Total of $177.62

#9 ·
Cost me $150, including band adjustment, they deducted a little for the warranty replacement of the governor pressure regulator @ the same time.

#11 ·
i am looking at a 2500 diesel, auto trans, 2004 model, noticed on carfax that trans had been serviced at 30K. Ask dealer if there had been transmission problems with the vehicle,

he said no, the sevice requirment for the auto on the 2500 series is 30K, he said truck had been properly serviced.

I just thought most heavy trucks would go 60K before full transmission flush.

#12 ·
Because these trucks are heavy duty they need the tranny fluid changed more often then 60k, these trucks tow big loads, and have a lot of strain on the tranny, so the fluid does need to be changed at 30k, I actually change mine every 15,000 miles. The tranny costs 5k to replace, and it costs $180 to do the tranny service, very cheap insurance.

#14 ·
I agree, tranny service is cheap vs replacement, when I had my 1500 I went in every Feb to get service, dealer thought I was crazy but I NEVER had an issue in 300k. Now the 2500 I have had a complete tranny rebuild at around 30k, the cost was over $5k.....I will go back to service every year reguardless of mileage..cheap insurance!

#13 ·
just done transy fluid & filter change not long ago. coat me $5 x8= $40CAD( Pennzoil ATF+4) & $21( filter). I do the work myself( about 20000km/12400mile) every second oil change. very cheap and easy way to keep my maintenance schedule.

#15 ·
Is the filter the type that pulls off then replace with the new one or do I need a seal removal tool as indicated in the Haynes manual?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.