Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changing Cp3's

Time to upgrade pumps on my brothers whip. I think I have seen info somewhere on here before about changing out the cp3... Any special tools? Hints? Tips? Talked to a few guys that say its not to bad but they do it everyday for a living (mechanic). Any info is greatly appreciated.:blues:

· Registered
1,231 Posts
its not hard.

take out radiator, shroud, fan, gear plate then pop off the cp3 gear. then take the lines off and take the three nuts off. then its off.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
You dont have to take out any of that...only i do is remove the intake horn so i have more room...

· Registered
1,231 Posts
i was just going by from what i did when i had to change the gasket behind the plate to engine. i just assumed you had to do all that to take it off. but now that i remember theres a cap there you unscrew on the gear cover and theres a 1 1/8" nut with a washer if i remember right. then a steering wheel puller to pop that gear off then the 3 lines & fca plug then the three nuts.

· Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its not hard.

take out radiator, shroud, fan, gear plate then pop off the cp3 gear. then take the lines off and take the three nuts off. then its off.
never heard of havin to do all that...
You dont have to take out any of that...only i do is remove the intake horn so i have more room...
thank you... Where do you get that puller? or is there something else you can use?
i was just going by from what i did when i had to change the gasket behind the plate to engine. i just assumed you had to do all that to take it off. but now that i remember theres a cap there you unscrew on the gear cover and theres a 1 1/8" nut with a washer if i remember right. then a steering wheel puller to pop that gear off then the 3 lines & fca plug then the three nuts.
that sounds better
X2. I also made my own puller from 1/2" keystock. Its pretty tight in there if you dont pull the fan and belt.
I don't have any cutting or welding tools.. thanks for the info:thumbsup:

· Tennesse Chapter President
1,798 Posts
It is pretty easy, as long as your atleast mechanically inclined. I used a steering wheel puller I believe to pull the gear of. But when youtake the nut of, you need to make sure you dont drop the nut or washer inside the front cover. I used a magentic screwdriver and slid the nut/ washer off and onto it and got them out, reinstall the same way. The removal/ replacement is pretty easy, just seems intimidating the first time!

· Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is pretty easy, as long as your atleast mechanically inclined. I used a steering wheel puller I believe to pull the gear of. But when youtake the nut of, you need to make sure you dont drop the nut or washer inside the front cover. I used a magentic screwdriver and slid the nut/ washer off and onto it and got them out, reinstall the same way. The removal/ replacement is pretty easy, just seems intimidating the first time!
cool... I don't know how inclined but definetly done my fair share of wrenchin on the old 5.9's... 1st time for everything. Everybody has said that the most importnt part is making sure you catch that part so it doesn't fall off into the casing. Thanks for the info

· Registered
1,084 Posts
hey boys... this thread is for my intent lols prolly ordering a pump next week... and it will save me $200 buxs if i do it my self... i can do inj,studs,lift pumps etc... so i think i can do i im just first time for this one:S:... heres what i know and point me in the right direction for you know what i mean:blues:

1. pull fuel lines off
2. front cover off cp3
3. undo the nut? inside dont let fall inside... then its a lil blury with the words pry off and such???:S:

kinda lookin at step by step instructions to do it... i know if i take off the intake horn will help!.. would it also if i took the snake:hehe: belt off to

Thanks for all input:thumbsup:

1,798 Posts
3. undo the nut? inside dont let fall inside... then its a lil blury with the words pry off and such???:S:

kinda lookin at step by step instructions to do it... i know if i take off the intake horn will help!.. would it also if i took the snake:hehe: belt off to

Thanks for all input:thumbsup:
Once you remove the nut and washer, you need a puller (I used a steering wheel puller), and pull the gear off the fron of the cp3. Youy can get to it through the access whole on the front. All you have to do is move it about 1/4 inch and it will pop loose. Then unbolt the cp3 and remove it. It is actually this easy. I dont remember about the belt, if it has to come off, it on takes seconds, and I think I bungie corded the upper hose back out of the way.

1,798 Posts
to clarify one thing, when you pull the gear off the cp3, you dont actaully remove it from the front cover, all you do is pop it loose from the cp3.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Once you remove the nut and washer, you need a puller (I used a steering wheel puller), and pull the gear off the fron of the cp3. Youy can get to it through the access whole on the front. All you have to do is move it about 1/4 inch and it will pop loose. Then unbolt the cp3 and remove it. It is actually this easy. I dont remember about the belt, if it has to come off, it on takes seconds, and I think I bungie corded the upper hose back out of the way.
ok it makes sence what u are saying... and not to sound dumb buy i dont know what a steering wheel puller is? and where you pry it form? sorry for the ignorance:doh: and as far as putting the new one back in is it hard to put it back into the gear alignment and all???

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Reactions: OnThErOcKs

· Registered
1,084 Posts
to clarify one thing, when you pull the gear off the cp3, you dont actaully remove it from the front cover, all you do is pop it loose from the cp3.
ok i see 3 blots that have to be removed from the front cover so pull those off and the pull nut off and washer!!!... then pry?? like is it obvious where to pry it or pop is from:S:

Thanks again sir

· Registered
1,231 Posts
i believe its 18in/lbs. dont qoute me though. i just snug it up pretty good

· Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Changed it out today.... not to bad besides the two threads on the end of the cp3 shaft being slightly bent... Finally got it though. And wow, the driving experience changed dramatically:blues:

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Changed it out today.... not to bad besides the two threads on the end of the cp3 shaft being slightly bent... Finally got it though. And wow, the driving experience changed dramatically:blues:
Agreed Big thanks to Shane at Wicked also for answering his phone on the weekends thats customer service that you can not beat! Also Erick at Browns Diesel for putting up with all my Questions on install:S: Truck is a complete different animal more fuel althrough out the RPM's could not be happier:thumbsup: well duals but :spank::hehe:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.