Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to install my recently purchased cfm and had the torgue wrench set wrong and snapped of one the studs that come with the manifold.:banghead: I was wondering if I can use one of the stock studs or if I should order one from CFM.

·
Banned
449 Posts
I would concur with Duck on that comment.....
After seeing a few threads about the carnage left behind when one of those blow,I would look for a better choice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well it must be a common problem because my truck came with one and the bolts must have broke because they have jb weld or something on the nuts to hold an it has leaked before also... I forgot about getting a new one for my build until just seeing this...what's a good replacement for it..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well I never had a stock horn....but I am looking to order a replacement for the CFm... pusher looks good for a good price also ... any thoughts on that one

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
People have made close to 1K with a stock horn...
It's not peak power than the horn's effect, it's the mid range power which is used much more often than peak power.

I like the GDP unit, nearly all of the CFM+ performance, about 2/3 the cost, and no explosions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's not peak power than the horn's effect, it's the mid range power which is used much more often than peak power.

I like the GDP unit, nearly all of the CFM+ performance, about 2/3 the cost, and no explosions.
Ok, a stock horn will flow enough air to make big peak power. Explain how it would have a negative effect on mid range.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Same reason that the valves can have a huge range of adjustment and not effect rated power, at peak power boost overcomes the restrictions. At mid range power the airflow is negatively effected by the restriction.

Look at photo's of the OEM horn, and look at the dyno charts with aftermarket horns. Peak power is relatively unchanged, but mid-range has a nice bump.

It's easy to see the improvement from an intake horn if you watch for it. Not a huge gain, but there is a gain.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have a cfm+ on my truck. I have pegged my 60psi boost gauge and sprayed nitrous without any problems. From what I understood the problems were caused by over tightening or some of the nuts being tighter than others causing uneven pressure on the horn. I noticed a difference when I put mine on, not a huge one but it was still a difference.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well I'm not taking a Chance ... ordered my new one last night ....the luck I have it will be catastrophic failure....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts