Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a first time diesel owner, I have done a lot of reading about the operation of the diesel engine. The conclusion is that the higher the cetane level of the fuel, the better the operation of the engine. My question is "how can we find the cetane rating of fuels that are refined and marketed by the refiners, or is there even such a "list" ???

· Registered
239 Posts
Cetane Levels

I can't remember the thread that i read this in... but the conclusion was that 'the higher the cetane level, the higher the efficiency' is a false statement. The thread was geared around additives such as 2-stroke oil and boost/cleaner type additives. As far as the cetane level that you find at the pump, most of the time it is posted directly on the pump at the station.

I'm curious as well to the validity of the statement above as well.

· Premium Member
3,328 Posts
The conclusion is that the higher the cetane level of the fuel, the better the operation of the engine.
Fuels in NA should have a cetane rating between 40 and 50. 40-45 is considered regular #2. 45-50 considered premium. A diesel engine may in fact run worse on higher cetane fuel depending on engine speed, compression and timing. A fuel with too high a cetane rating can cause pre-ignition and result in "timing rattle." Cetane rating measure the ability of the fuel to combust, as opposed to Octane rating for gasoline which measure the fuels ability to resist combustion.

· Registered
19 Posts
Why is it then that I read about a lot of guys doing the 1oz 2cycle(with a low ash rating?) to 1 gal. of diesel in order to boost the cetane reading. I've heard some guys say it lowered their egt's and increased milage a bit.

And if you don't want to go this route, it was advised to me to use an additive like Power Service in the White bottle.

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Why is it then that I read about a lot of guys doing the 1oz 2cycle(with a low ash rating?) to 1 gal. of diesel in order to boost the cetane reading. I've heard some guys say it lowered their egt's and increased milage a bit.

And if you don't want to go this route, it was advised to me to use an additive like Power Service in the White bottle.
I have heard ppl adding 2 stroke oil to get some of lubing properties of diesel back, I have not heard of adding any cetane.

I run Power Service usually, I like it.:thumbsup

· Premium Member
4,719 Posts
the 2 stroke is to lube up the the injector pumps for us vp44 guys. i also noticed a small increase in mileage, and it quiets the knock out a lil too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.