Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i picked up some 4th gen wheels. Apparently these are steel and thinner than the last wheels. Used the same lugs to install them. The new caps fit the front but dnt snap on the back. I think they bottom out on the center. Old caps dont lock all the way to the wheels. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same 18" steel rims, from a 2014 MY Ram 2500 installed on my 2005 Ram 3500 5.9l. I too noticed what appeared to be a
gap at the base of my original plastic center caps when installed on the 4th gen chrome-clad steel rims. After fiddling with it, upon
closer inspection, I concluded that the center caps were, in fact, fully seated. The "gap" seemed to be more of an optical illusion that
is created from the highly reflective, shiny surfaces. My old center caps have stayed in place with no issues thus far. And the roads
here in Northern NH have their share of rough surfaces. The truck is not driven winters (Texas truck originally), so I avoid some of the
worst of the rough roads & potholes by parking the rig for 6 months a year. The brine of calcium chloride/magnesium chloride that is
used to keep the roads free of ice & packed snow should IMO be outlawed. It is HIGHLY corrosive, and, as a liquid, penetrates into
every seam in the truck. The rock salt used previously was much less destructive. Over-the Road truckers dry vans suffer severe
corrosion from this brine. I hope your area does not suffer from extensive brine usage on the road as we do here in Northern New
England.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will look closer when i get home. Not much use for brine here. Only thing we have is salt air from the beach

·
Registered
19,104 Posts
I used the old caps also with no problem. They mount on the nuts and so long as they are all the way on the nuts they are good. 4th gen nuts are metric and 2nd and third gen are 9/16, so don't switch nuts..

·
Registered
19,104 Posts
I believe the axle hubs on the rears are different height from 2nd gen Dana.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I believe the axle hubs on the rears are different height from 2nd gen Dana.
He has a 3rd gen w AAM 11.5 and the 4th Gens have the same AAM 11.5 axle. Hubs could be different though.

·
Registered
19,104 Posts
Yes , also, if the hub capss came off of alloy wheels, the thickness of the alloy wheels could have held the hub caps out further than the steel wheels that are much thinner.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
The 4th gen wheels have 1/4" more backspacing so they hug the body more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts