Cummins Diesel Forum banner

CEL with coes P20EE P0542 P229F P1C54

12K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  URDiesel 
#1 ·
OK, Truck is running great, same MPG I got 30K miles ago. but CEL is on, has been for a short while. Taking in to the dealer to get this done and the recalls. Truck says the SCR recall was done and a while back dealer verified the one sensor was gone on the SCR. I have done a lot or research and find a lot of P20EE and P229F prior to their SCR being replaced under warranty but did not see any since.

P20EE SCR NOxCatalyst Efficiency below Threshold bank 1
P0542 Intake Air Heater A Circuit High
P229F NOx Censor Circuit Range/Performance(B1S2)
P1C54

Anyone have these AFTER the SCR was replaced. I am at 47K miles and have 18 months left on my 5 year 100K mile warranty.

I take it next week, I am hoping they fix it and do not try and blame DEF, I keep it fresh and lately have only used new fresh blue DEF from the box with a good seal. I hope I am not a horror story of them trying to force me to pay thousands to have the DEF tank dumped and clean, because I am not paying a penny.

The dealer did tell me she did not think the Intake Air Heater was covered under warranty, only the engine transmission is under drive train. I said it better be covered, it is part of the engine. She looked confused, and now I am scared I am in for a fight.

Any experience on these code I would really appreciate it so I am ready for the dealer if it goes that way.

See less See more
#3 ·
If they say it needs one make them pay for it. It helps keep them from throwing parts at it. Requires a "mechanic" to remove it from guess where... the ENGINE!!! What's not covered next, crankshafts and pistons? If you still have an argument get a diagram of the engine and say "tell me this part# xxxxx. Intake heater is not part of the engine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Well dealer just called, needs a new SCR and NOx sensor all under warranty. I drove my last vehicle for almost 250K miles with the CEL light on after the warranty ran out, I wonder how long I could have driven this, just curious for the future? I would rather have the CEL on then parts fall off causing it to be noisier in the cab. Either way this will be fixed under warranty.

#6 ·
Well got it back I do not think they did anything for the intake heater other then clear the code, we will see. but new SCR and some sensors. Of course they did the water pump, fluid looked fine but 10 miles from the dealer I guess it burped the air out and the coolant low light comes on, turn around and back to the dealer. Lucky they filled it and did not charge me like I have read they try.

#7 ·
I would be extremely worried about this P0542 Intake Air Heater A Circuit High DTC.
If that grid bolt fails and the nut drops into the engine, you'll be hating life.
IMO, you should make them replace the heater grid assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.