Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CEL... Not the diagnosis I wanted to hear - UPDATE W/CODES

I have 3,000 miles on my 13. The first CEL came on about 4 weeks ago, but I didn't notice anything different, and it cleared itself...

Last week the second CEL came on. I noticed it wasn't running very good, so I made an appointment to have the dealer look at it, and took it in this morning.

This afternoon the service Mgr. called and said, " We have never seen this code before. We aren't even sure what it means".
They did agree it was running crappy, and wanted to keep it until next week, so they can try and figure out what it is.
He said they have been talking with the engineers at Dodge, and even they don't know what the hell it is.

At least they gave me a new pickup to drive as a loaner.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's promising. The engineers that designed it don't even know what they wrote.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't tell me what the code was. Their service dept. is open today, so I'm going to go over there in an hour or so, and talk to them. If I find out what the code is, or get any more info, I'll post it up for everyone.

I don't know how it can have a code but nobody knows what it is, even though it affects the way it runs.

On a different note, the 1500's with the Hemi are kinda fun to drive.
The loaner has the 5.7, but it would really be fun with the 6.1 :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like your truck was built by Skynet and has now evolved... became self aware... and capable of generating its own CEL codes that your dealer can't find.

I hope you get this resolved and all works out well... but I would have little faith in a dealer who is unable to match a pre programmed code to its diagnostic description that must exist.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I have good feelings about the service department.
I have taken the truck in a few times for minor things so far. The most annoying issue is a very loud knocking noise at idle, and on acceleration. It sounds like very severe detonation in a gas engine, and sometimes almost sounds like a rod knocking.

It doesn't do it all the time, but it did actually do it once while they had it.
They couldn't isolate the problem, but told me they had been talking with the engineers on this issue as well, and even opened a case with Dodge so it would be documented, so they could move on to the next step.

So at this point, I'm not giving up hope on the service department. Yet... :D
What really boggles my mind is, the engineers don't even know what it is :thumbsup:

Since I got the truck, I have noticed a few things I thought were odd, and wondered where they are getting their engineers.
It's almost like it is a contest with the engineers to see who can make a simple function as over-complicated as it can be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had this happen twice. Turned out (both times) that the dealers computers were malfunctioning and weren't picking up the code properly. Once they changed computers, they saw the code and it just required a flash update. However, both times the truck was running well, so it may be different in your situation

·
Registered
107 Posts
So far I have good feelings about the service department.
I have taken the truck in a few times for minor things so far. The most annoying issue is a very loud knocking noise at idle, and on acceleration. It sounds like very severe detonation in a gas engine, and sometimes almost sounds like a rod knocking.

It doesn't do it all the time, but it did actually do it once while they had it.
They couldn't isolate the problem, but told me they had been talking with the engineers on this issue as well, and even opened a case with Dodge so it would be documented, so they could move on to the next step.

So at this point, I'm not giving up hope on the service department. Yet... :D
What really boggles my mind is, the engineers don't even know what it is :thumbsup:

Since I got the truck, I have noticed a few things I thought were odd, and wondered where they are getting their engineers.
It's almost like it is a contest with the engineers to see who can make a simple function as over-complicated as it can be.
Glad you're satisfied with your dealer... I may have judged to soon.

I would rather have the dealer say 'I don't know, but we'll find out" rather than blow smoke... and your dealers is being honest.

Good luck.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back from the dealer. The service mgr wasn't there today, so I didn't find out anything other than it's still not fixed lol...

I agree Bernie. I don't have a problem with them saying up front, we don't know what it is, or how to fix it, as long as they are using all the resources available to them, to find a solution, and not blowin smoke.

Just for giggles the wife and I walked around and looked at the 14's they have in stock.
They have two 14 3500 SRW CC 4x4's.
One Tradesman, and one SLT. Both have CTD'S with Aisin trans. No Laramies yet

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had this happen twice. Turned out (both times) that the dealers computers were malfunctioning and weren't picking up the code properly. Once they changed computers, they saw the code and it just required a flash update. However, both times the truck was running well, so it may be different in your situation
I wish mine was going to be that easy. It's running so crappy, they didn't even want me to take it home, which was fine with me.
We did drive over by the dealer tonight after we went out for dinner. The wife misses it, and I wanted to get some things out of it that I left. I didn't think it would be staying that long in the hospital.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update on my truck. The service manager called my wife today, and told her they thought doing an update would fix it, but it didn't.
I drive truck, so it is easier for them to get ahold of her, than me playing phone tag :D I can't believe how many stinking updates there are. It is rediculous.
CEL is still on, and it is still running crappy.

Tomorrow they are going to replace the EGR valve, and see what that does. I still have yet to get a code number, and I really don't think they have figured out what the code actually means, or they would probably be a little more certain as to what would fix the problem....

I don't have great expectations, but who knows. We shall see

Reactions: dspoon

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It wont be the EGR valve, they are just grabbing for straws now.

You sound like you have an injection timing problem.

Probably need a new ECM.

Reactions: 02 Cummins Guy

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am thinking a wire harness issue....didn't someone else have a similar issue and it ended up being the wire harness running between the tranny the floor wall was rubbing and ended up exposing bare wires....

·
Registered
363 Posts
On my 12', I had a couple of wires embedded in the wiring harnass bundle chafe where it enters the firewall on the driver's side. They were shorting out the electronic throttle control. Intermittently made the EVIC go crazy.

Took a very experienced tech two days to figure out what was going on. Re-wrapped the offending wires put a rubber sleeve around the bundle for extra protection. Good to go.

If they haven't already done so, I would have them look closely at the harnesses and wiring to metal points.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It wont be the EGR valve, they are just grabbing for straws now.

You sound like you have an injection timing problem.

Probably need a new ECM.
Funny you mention that. In the three times I have taken it in for an intermittent, very loud knocking noise from idle, up to about 1500 rpms, they thought it may be caused by injector timing, or an injector issue, but they were only able to duplicate the noise once, and it wasn't very bad. Well, when I dropped it off, it was making the noise, so I know they heard it again. When I talk to them, I am going to revisit the noise issue, and bring up the injector issue. If they can make it run correctly, and get rid of the horrid noise, I would be lovin the truck.

I am thinking a wire harness issue....didn't someone else have a similar issue and it ended up being the wire harness running between the tranny the floor wall was rubbing and ended up exposing bare wires....
On my 12', I had a couple of wires embedded in the wiring harnass bundle chafe where it enters the firewall on the driver's side. They were shorting out the electronic throttle control. Intermittently made the EVIC go crazy.

Took a very experienced tech two days to figure out what was going on. Re-wrapped the offending wires put a rubber sleeve around the bundle for extra protection. Good to go.

If they haven't already done so, I would have them look closely at the harnesses and wiring to metal points.
Thanks guys. I'm writing these down in case the EGR valve doesn't fix it, which I also don't think it will.
Ya, I too think they are just grasping straws. I do remember another member having a wiring harness issue. The wiring harness that doesn't exist anywhere, and they don't know when it will be available. IIRC, they are in the process of a buy back on his.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Funny you mention that. In the three times I have taken it in for an intermittent, very loud knocking noise from idle, up to about 1500 rpms, they thought it may be caused by injector timing, or an injector issue, but they were only able to duplicate the noise once, and it wasn't very bad. Well, when I dropped it off, it was making the noise, so I know they heard it again. When I talk to them, I am going to revisit the noise issue, and bring up the injector issue. If they can make it run correctly, and get rid of the horrid noise, I would be lovin the truck.

Thanks guys. I'm writing these down in case the EGR valve doesn't fix it, which I also don't think it will.
Ya, I too think they are just grasping straws. I do remember another member having a wiring harness issue. The wiring harness that doesn't exist anywhere, and they don't know when it will be available. IIRC, they are in the process of a buy back on his.
Hopefully you dont have an injector washing down a cylinder. You may want to smell the dipstick, your engine oil will smell like diesel if this is happening. It will lead to a very premature failure on the engine too.
When you said knocking and pinging, it sounds like a fuel issue to me. Too much fuel or, fuel being delivered at the wrong time.

I will be very interested to see what you find out.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hopefully you dont have an injector washing down a cylinder. You may want to smell the dipstick, your engine oil will smell like diesel if this is happening. It will lead to a very premature failure on the engine too.
When you said knocking and pinging, it sounds like a fuel issue to me. Too much fuel or, fuel being delivered at the wrong time.

I will be very interested to see what you find out.
Thanks. That's a good idea. I will do that if it ever gets out of the hospital.

Well, an update from yesterdays EGR valve replacement. I guess the CEL went off and it was running better. They drove it back to the shop to check some other stuff, and decided to take it for a long drive, just to make sure everything was still ok.
Nope. The CEL light was back on, and it was running like crap again.
I'm going to talk to the service mgr and see what the next step is, or if they have anymore parts they are going to start throwing at it :D

By the sounds of it, they still haven't figured out what the code actually means. :confused013:

I drove through the dealers lot on my way home from work this morning, just to see if they had gotten any more 14's in, and to see if my truck was still inside the shop.
Nope... They parked it out in the back, in the gravel storage lot.
Poor thing looks really sad. It almost looks like they have put it out to pasture. I didn't see any bullet holes in it though lol

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Thanks. That's a good idea. I will do that if it ever gets out of the hospital.

Well, an update from yesterdays EGR valve replacement. I guess the CEL went off and it was running better. They drove it back to the shop to check some other stuff, and decided to take it for a long drive, just to make sure everything was still ok.
Nope. The CEL light was back on, and it was running like crap again.
I'm going to talk to the service mgr and see what the next step is, or if they have anymore parts they are going to start throwing at it :D

By the sounds of it, they still haven't figured out what the code actually means. :confused013:

I drove through the dealers lot on my way home from work this morning, just to see if they had gotten any more 14's in, and to see if my truck was still inside the shop.
Nope... They parked it out in the back, in the gravel storage lot.
Poor thing looks really sad. It almost looks like they have put it out to pasture. I didn't see any bullet holes in it though lol

The CEL went out because they cleared it with their scanner. As soon as it comes back on, it causes the problems with engine misfires, more than likely.

I still think you have an ecm problem.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
How can they not know what the code actually means?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts