Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not sure where to post this

I am thinking of purchasing a large Gooseneck trailer in the 40-50’ range
I do not have a CDL and want to be able to haul a minimum of Three Jeeps at one time
Friends and I are talking about trips out west to Moab etc. This would be for recreational use only and not commercial at this time however my truck is registered in my company’s name.
I have been told different things from different people and was wondering what information I would find here since you guys are the ones who pull the big trailers on light duty trucks and are not driving tractor trailers like the people I spoke to.

Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
if your truck is registered as a commercial vehicle you will have to have a cdl unless your total gross is under 26,001 lbs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bravo is correct. It goes by the stated GVWR combining the truck and trailer, not necessarily what the actual weight is. I think it is a little absurd, but those are the rules. Not sure about anywhere else, but here you also are supposed to have a health card, fire extinguisher, reflective triangles, etc... when you have a commercial vehicle over 10,000 GVWR (3500's).

Hauling after 5 or on the weekends you would avoid the DOT. Most importantly, go over board on being safe....good chains and binders, brakes, tires, etc.... You don't want to harm anyone or yourself. Sorry to sound like a preacher.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
exactly, in CA all trucks are registered commercial. I believe in Texas as well, so it varies state to state. As long as you are 26,000 lbs or less total combined GVW you don't need a class A. If you tow more than that you may be required to get a non commercial class A.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks my truck is registered at 10,000 lbs
so I would need to find a trailer gvw of 16,000 lbs or less but i doubt thats going to happen since the Jeeps alone weigh about 5k each and I am guessing the trailer is 8k+
empty. I wonder if there are any loop holes to get away with it maybe being able to register the trailer at 16,000 lbs since I think in MD they ask you what weight to register them as if it was not specified from the previous owners or mfr

·
Registered
89 Posts
In Ca. if your pulling a bumper pull trailer over 10 k gvwr you will need a non commercial class A. I think its 15k for a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think it matters what the vehicles are registered for. The inspector (if stopped) will look at the sticker in the door panel. I think a dodge 3500 DRW is around 12K. Add that to the trailer of (tandem single wheel) of 14K and you are at 26K anyhow.

This is how I read the law, but do what you want. Most tow overweight quite often.

I tow a 24K trailer with my HD and a 16K machine on it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
roofer is correct. I have been pulled over by dot. They look at the door panel for the truck and then the rating on the trailer. They dont care if your trailer is empty if yor capable of weighing over 26k then your in trouble.

·
Registered
116 Posts
yup they don't give a squat about what it might be registered as...they will look at the sticker on the truck and the plate on the trailer everytime...if they are over 26,000 you better have a CDL driver in your cell phone to come and drive you home

just go and get your CDL...the test really is not hard..i passed 4 years ago when i was 18...you are better off, that way you can drive anything except a bus

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
yup they don't give a squat about what it might be registered as...they will look at the sticker on the truck and the plate on the trailer everytime...if they are over 26,000 you better have a CDL driver in your cell phone to come and drive you home
I can't tell you how many times people have called me to bail them out of getting their truck impounded for that reason. At least they buy me lunch, pay for my gas to get out there and a few drinks when I get home.

·
Banned
885 Posts
You really need a Class B, not a A. Remember once you get a CDL any ticket in any state STICKS... There are no license privledges, so if you get suspended there is NO driving to and from work license...
Watch what you do, as the judge will hold you to it as now you are a professional driver...

·
Registered
116 Posts
thats true...i got hit in New York with mine, I got it reduced...DUI amount is less too

but if he will be pulling a combination then he will need an A Licence...B is single trucks

·
Banned
885 Posts
No B is not only single trucks, B is also combination.

Class B is -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Legally B is where you would be, I do not believe the tire rating and axle rating on the 2500/3500 would legally allow you to scale the Class B requirements anyway

·
Registered
249 Posts
in NC from the web site

A CDL is required of drivers, paid or volunteer, who drive the
following types of vehicles:
1.2: Who Needs a CDL?
• A single or combination vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
• A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more persons, including
the driver.
• Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials
placards.
You do not need a CDL to drive RECREATIONAL VEHICLES,
MILITARY EQUIPMENT, FIRE and/or EMERGENCY
EQUIPMENT, or CERTAIN FARM VEHICLES. For more
information regarding CDL exemptions, see Section 1.8 –
Exemptions and Waivers.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

just go and get your CDL...the test really is not hard..i passed 4 years ago when i was 18...you are better off, that way you can drive anything except a bus

Someone told me i would need to take a class and spend 2k or so to get a CDL is this true? I dont want to drive big rigs just be legal to pull a long combo.

If I get a trailer it will have a straight deck but thanks

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No B is not only single trucks, B is also combination.

Class B is -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Legally B is where you would be, I do not believe the tire rating and axle rating on the 2500/3500 would legally allow you to scale the Class B requirements anyway

This is confusing to me
my truck is registered at 10k
sticker on the door is over 10k
and the trailer would be more than 10k gvw
my single car trailer has a 10,400 GVW and a cop told me who is a customer of mine that if I haul for money on the single car trailer that I need some type of CDL or maybe a medical card I forget. I do haul for money on it including off road recovery

·
Banned
885 Posts
Is it a business ... or do you "hey $50 and i'll pull you out" ? or "i'll tow your car for $50 to there"

If you are a legitimate business and paying hut then this is a entirely different story..

However if it is not then it would be recreational and really not need a cdl...

If you take a Class A you need a Class A vehicle, and renting something like that is not cheap and learning to drive it to pass the RT is not simple and you will fail if you try to wing it...
If you take a Class B vehicle you need to rent a heavy 10 wheel truck, like a dump truck so you can get your Class B, can't take the test for the Class out of the Class of vehicle....

You do not need the Trailer in place for the Class B RT

Once you get a CDL you need to recert for the medical every 2 years

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's a legit business
most og the time I haul my own junk around but from time to time I charge per mile
i guess I need to check our local DOT regulations and see which class I need

·
Banned
885 Posts
IF you show up for a RT with your truck you might get a C, i don't believe your truck would get you into the B class. You might need a C

Just search CDL it is the same for every state, this is why it went to fed requirements so there was no more confusion

1 - 20 of 31 Posts