Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

CCN Illumination Fuse Blowing

17372 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Texas turbo
THis fuse has blown twice in the last week. Items on this fuse appear to be guage lights, overhead, and dome lights. Anyone have an idea what might be causing it? It's a 15 amp fuse labeled # 35 in the fuse panel.
Thanks.

ben
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
I had the same fuse blow a bunch of times. Took it in twice, they never found the problem, but they must have moved the right wire or connector somewhere, it's been good for a couple months. They went through so much stuff the last time it was in, I don't think there's a way to pinpoint it.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for that info shortbus! I took the third brake light out, dome lights and overhead display out, and generally just checked out all the wires that I thought might be shorting out. It's strange though, because once the fuse appeared to be blown and when I checked it, it was good. Then when I checked the lights again they were working?? Then this morning, when I hit the keyless to unlock, the lights flashed then went out.
There must be a relay or circuit breaker somewhere. I've heard that some parts of the TIPM will shut down after a certain number of faults. Then you have to make a trip to the dealer to get them to reset or something.

I did have the truck worked on last week by a "Dent Wizard" for some hail damage. I'm thinking he might have displaced something or chafed a wire in the headliner or inside one of the panels he worked on.:CRY:

· Registered
209 Posts
I had the same problem, come to find out it was the wire goin into the visor rubing on the metal ring and blowing the fuse. hope this helps

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that where the driver's side visor is held on with three torx screws? Does all the wiring come up the a pillar and branch out from there? I've never had the headliner down before and don't want to screw it up.
Tonight I removed the overhead console which has two lights, the dome light, and the third brake light. The third brake light has two lights that come on when you unlock the truck with the keyless. By the process of elimination, I now have the dome light unplugged. Everything else is working fine, so it must be a fault with the wiring for the dome light. Ran out of time tonight, so I'll have to try and trace it out tomorrow.

· Registered
209 Posts
there is one on each side if u have vanity lights, and they do run up the drivers side piller, mine was barely notisable the ruber on the wire was cut a little, i would drop the visor (3 torx) and see, no need to drop the head liner

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Finally got it sorted out today and it did turn out to be a fault in the driver's side vanity light wiring. Must be inside the visor though, so now I need a new visor. Wonder if they will replace that under warranty?

ben

· Registered
1 Posts
2008 Dodge Ram Cabin Compartment Node Fuse

Just wanted to say thanks.

Off and On been searching for reason why fuse kept breaking.

Turns out wire leading to visor was crimped. Detached and fuse was fine. Used electrical tape and all is good.

Just F.Y.I. I saw the crimp right away when I took off screws. If you pull the wire out a little (about 4-6 inches) there is a clasp. (I only mention this because I thought I was going to have to cut the wires)

· Registered
2 Posts
My truck stayed many a nights at the shop with the "mechanics" trying to figure out this problem, I come across this thread many months later and within a few minutes I find the culprit to my lighting issues. Thank y'all. Cummins forum rocks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.