Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, never got an overhead warning for my cc filter for 250,000 miles. So I figure just replace the damn thing. I do, I also go ahead and plug the turbo inlet and run a vent tube straight down. Now I get overhead warning anytime I wot. I reset it and it's fine until the next time I wot. Really don't want to run the thing back through the turbo, but I am thinking the turbo may create a suction for the vent. could this be why I am getting an overhead when I wot?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Turbo intake definitely pulls a vacuum on the CCV. At 250K, you might have just enough blow by to trip the sensor. There is a thread somewhere about an AIR/OIL separator that someone was using to fix this problem.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,375 Posts
Just gut the CCV filter and not worry about it ever again. Then there is no restriction for the Crank Case Vent and if the message appears you know it's blow-by and not the filter restriction. My signature has a link to the gutting I did with pictures as well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just gut the CCV filter and not worry about it ever again. Then there is no restriction for the Crank Case Vent and if the message appears you know it's blow-by and not the filter restriction. My signature has a link to the gutting I did with pictures as well.
Thought I remembered reading about this somewhere. Think I will probably gut it when I get some time. One question though, I think the 5.9s use a permdent filter in there's. Actually I think Genos even sells them for the 5.9s so it seems to me they still filter and not straight vent.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I changed mine out around 45,000 miles and it was overly full. I don't have alot of miles but I have like 2200hrs on the motor. Imo it needs to be changed every 1000hrs. Oil was getting by the filter for sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just changed mine. It's recommended every 60K miles. Mine was as heavy as an oil filter full of oil. The new one is light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts