Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to get a CB but I want it to look good and not take up much space. I was looking at the Cobra 75 WX Cobra
What do yall think or suggest? Also, if I got a regular CB where's a good place to mount it? :popcorn:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, what are you aiming to do with it...for instance, how far are you wanting to communicate with your cb? I don't have experience with this particular model, but my opinion would be that it wouldn't be my first choice. You're going to be highly limited to what you can do to beef it up later and my first question with that is reliability. For a CB with a small footprint that I have used, i would say the Uniden 520xl is an inexpensive alternative to the cobra. I've taken this model in and had it "peaked and tweaked" with the right antenna setup...it was a nice little unit. In Casper, I've talked on it to people 7-10 miles away and in my hometown, i can talk to folks 5-7 miles away. Best I ever did with it (ideal conditions - night, cloud cover, calm out) was when i talked to my buddy in downtown Ft Collins from the north west corner of Greeley, which is about 20-25 miles (bird's eye). Most online dealers will peak and tweak it for you for a small charge, but that will increase your receive side and peak out your transmit side without burning up your box.

As for mounting options, there are pics in here for guys that mounted to a plate that was bolted down to the middle seat bolts. In my 04.5, I had my midland mounted to the center console that was on the trani hump. It was out of the way of my feet and the wires were easily hidden by guiding them under that console and towards the firewall and then wires went out the rubber plug and to the battery/antenna from there. There's a bracket that you can buy that will bolt onto the quarter panel (under your hood) and the hood clears it perfectly. Otherwise, you have pocket mounts, bed mounts, magnet mounts, and roof mounts. Depending on what you are willing to do to your truck to mount your antenna up.

Throw me some more info and i'll get you a little closer to what you're looking for, the options are endless. :thumbsup

:popcorn:

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking for good quality and a unit that can reach out and touch someone. Wheres a good place to buy one thats been tweaked?

·
Registered
249 Posts
What about amps? I mean how illegal are they?? and what are my odds of getting caught?

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about amps? I mean how illegal are they?? and what are my odds of getting caught?
I'm not too worried about the getting cought. for me the more amps the better!:thumbsup

·
Registered
249 Posts
hahaha is it a serious fine though? And would cops even notice?? And where can I find an amplifier??

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking for an Amp too... can only find them over seas for $$$. Also Very Illegal.

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But I do have an FCC licence...

·
Registered
210 Posts
You have to watch it with an amp or youll get caught, a galaxy or a corba 29 are good radios.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Galaxy is a darn good radio, lots of options available, lots of room for mods...all in all, one of the best radios out there IMO. Antenna makes all the difference in the world, so be sure you get a decent one. As a rule of thumb, 50% or more should be above the top of the cab, if you buy one with a "load" on it, the load should be above the top of your cab. Best thing to do is to read up on how it all works and then you can shop for the features you want on the radio, pick the antenna and mount, get a decent cable (don't go cheap on your cable, makes it a p.i.t.a. to tune later) and if you wind up with an amp....make sure you have the cb tuned down before you attach it, otherwise you could blow the amp. But if you have a place close by, take it in to tune the antenna before you start shouting over the mic...guarantee it will save a ton of frustration later.

·
Registered
460 Posts
BTW, i have an older Midland with a Hustler antenna.

·
OKLAHOMA CHAPTER PRESIDENT
881 Posts
its watts not amps and the moment u tweak and peak ur radio its illegal but if u want to run a lienor (amplifer) you want your radio to only put out like 3 watts or you will burn up your lienor. You can get a good radio such as a galaxcy or connex that have adjustable power so you can talk with or without the box (lienor) you only have to worry about burning up you box while the power is on otherwise its passive. As far as getting caught ur on a mobile highly unlikely. If people get caught usaully on a home base unit

·
Registered
210 Posts
you can get caught if your pushen enough power to over a power an emergancy service radio(cops, fire dept, or ems).

·
Registered
460 Posts
Save the money, skip the linear, get a high quality radio and have them peel it open, install a modulation kit and seal it back up. The best (loudest) radio i've heard yet was an old Cobra 23 channel radio someone bought at a garage sale, peaked and tweeked it and installed his own modulation kit and whenever he keyed up, that's all you heard. It walked all over everyone else and it would overtake the linear folks. Once he ran an analysis on the modulation and found he was putting out just under 300 percent mod and yea...never a problem hearing him.

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet!!! where can I get that done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey bro, Check out cbrt.com this site has a wealth of cb info. I have many cb radios and would highly recommend a General lee, connex 3300HP, Galaxy 88 or 99, Magnum or RCI, These radios all have great transmit and receive without the use of an amp. However by adding an amp you will be able to transmit much further, the amp will not help your receive. My current setup is a Magnum S-3, Predator 10K antenna, Texas Star DX-500 Amp and it kicks butt.

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey bro, Check out cbrt.com this site has a wealth of cb info. I have many cb radios and would highly recommend a General lee, connex 3300HP, Galaxy 88 or 99, Magnum or RCI, These radios all have great transmit and receive without the use of an amp. However by adding an amp you will be able to transmit much further, the amp will not help your receive. My current setup is a Magnum S-3, Predator 10K antenna, Texas Star DX-500 Amp and it kicks butt.
hmmm... cbrt.com isnt working

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Get a general lee , i have 3 of em tweeked and peaked i love em . Galaxys are over rated . i personaly think there junk :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 101 Posts