Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Good Quality Mount for my CB Radio Antenna. I have a magnetic base mount that is on top of the truck but I am afraid that the wind at highway speeds is going to make it slide or even come off of my truck. I have a 06 MegaCab 2500 4x2. Please help me locate a better mount than the one that I have. Thank You for everyone's assistance.

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
the magnetic should hold, Ive never had problems with them before

· Premium Member
7 Posts
I have A wilson 1000 magnet mount on my 01, and have ran 95-100mph with no problems.

· Registered
515 Posts
used em for a long time on the feed trucks and never had one move yet

· Registered
225 Posts
I agree the magnetic mount on the roof will hold, might cause a little scratching depending on road conditions. Almost any other mount location will not be as effective as center roof. That said there are lots of other options for mounting.

Here are a few:

2004+ Dodge Ram "SS" Hood Mount Kit AUDODGE2 - Electronics Superstore WalcottCB.com

Firestik MK294R "SS" Pick-Up Stake-Hole Mini-Kit - Electronics Superstore WalcottCB.com

Firestik SSF4 Flat and Fat "SS" Antenna Mount - Electronics Superstore WalcottCB.com

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all that have replied. After further research that I have done, the magnetic roof top mount is the best mounting option for me. I will be traveling to Reno, NV this weekend from Dallas, TX and originally thought that the magnetic mount would move or even blown over by the strong wind currents that are commonly seen in the mountains out there.
Should I place the magnetic base mount in the center of the roof top or more towards the rear of the roof top where the roof decking has less flexing and is more secure??? (Like 18" to 2' in front of the third brake light/satellite radio antenna)

· Registered
225 Posts
Thanks to all that have replied. After further research that I have done, the magnetic roof top mount is the best mounting option for me. I will be traveling to Reno, NV this weekend from Dallas, TX and originally thought that the magnetic mount would move or even blown over by the strong wind currents that are commonly seen in the mountains out there.
Should I place the magnetic base mount in the center of the roof top or more towards the rear of the roof top where the roof decking has less flexing and is more secure??? (Like 18" to 2' in front of the third brake light/satellite radio antenna)
You can mount it towards the rear of the roof like you suggest. A lot of guys do. It will effect the groud plane some, but not enough to matter. Probably mean your better transmit distance will be to the front.

I-40 into New Mexico winds can be very challenging especially with a trailer in tow.:hehe::hehe:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the best way to route the antenna wire into the cab of the truck, with very little wind noise???? with the magnetic base mounted behind the satellite radio antenna but in front of the third brake light. I hate that wind noise or whistling sound it seems to make.
I currently have a 3' fiberglass antenna but wondering if a steel whip ant would produce much better results?? My SWR readings are very high and probably not safe for my radio using the fiberglass ant that I currently have. Any suggestions on what size or height of antenna I should use for the best results and much lower and safer SWR readings?????

· Registered
634 Posts
I recommend the Lil Wil - it's steel so you can cut it to tune your SWR, and no wind noise since it's very slim. Run the cable down under the cab to the driver's side. there are plastic inserts you will see under the cab-look for the one under the driver's seat. Drill up through one and route your cable through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.