Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to mount a cb radio in the truck in my sig, it has the full center console. Has anyone done this without sacrificing too much storage room or damaging any interior parts? I searched but did not come up with anything useful in the 2013 section.
Thanks in advance,
Dylan.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You'd think that a truck as big as these are would have plenty of mounting space, wouldn't you? But you hit on the big one - sacrificing storage space.

Here's how we did ours...

RamGunner.com : Installing Two-Way Radios In The 2014 Ram 3500

However, if yours has the hump-mounted console then that won't work. Some other areas that were considered were the upper glove box (perhaps by drilling a hole in back for power and antenna), or under the glove boxes on the passenger side. The hump-mounted console does make a bit more difficult.

Cobra has a unit with a very small power/antenna connection box and a mic with most of the electronics and controls built in. I have never had great luck with these in larger vehicles but they do work in ATV's. It might be an option for you.

·
White Lightning
14,067 Posts
Has anyone done this without sacrificing too much storage room or damaging any interior parts?
Thanks in advance,
Dylan.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...ain-another-poll-question-10.html#post9404745

Cheapie Midland CB w/NOAA weather channels.

Another shot....

I removed a plug from the passenger's side underseat storage floorboard area. I cut a slit in it to the center, then drilled a hole about the size of the coax. I then siliconed the coax to the plug to keep any chance of water coming in. I then routed the coax to the Midland. I have no unsightly coax cables showing on the outside. The floor storage bin is shown for reference.

Last ones....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Check this thread out, and look at all 3 pages. Lots of pictures. Hope this helps.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-non-powertrain/468149-requesting-pics-cb-radio-setups.html
I mounted mine like toyota_mdt_tech did in that thread. With a manual trans, mounting options are even less. I have 2m/CB radios mounted along with the remote head for my Uniden scanner. I have the stake mounts for my 2m/CB antenna's and a mag mount scanner antenna on the roof.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
My buddy bought a bracket that mounts a full-size up in the center top of the dash. It's made for that location. I'm not sure where he got it--I'll ask. Of course he had to paint it and make it look just right so he has not installed it yet. I'm pretty sure he just installs his CB when he goes on vacation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's my setup with centre jump seat. No console CB install. Works great and very visible. Best part is if I ever need that centre seat I simply unplug CB and move it outta the way! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I've been doing some searches on here and the web on a good cb location. But I kinda had a thought from the start when I bought my truck. Mine didn't come with an over head console so I was kind thinking about it there, but I really didn't want to go carving up my brand new truck putting a hole in the headliner with a cb sticking through it. So I did some image searching and found this.Where can I get this overhead console? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Yeah it's a Ford but remember I don't have an over head console. So Monday I'm heading down to my local pull-a-part to see what I can find while today and tomorrow will be more image searching hope this helps anyone and if I find something I'll let y'all know

·
Registered
162 Posts
That console would be sweet. I feel pretty naked running without a CB in my outfit, and I just got a big radio in my big work truck and now the size of radio I want for the pickup just went up.

Couldn't find room to mount a barefoot Cobra 29 now that I know how nice they are I am trying to figure out how to fit a big bad Galaxy in it somewhere, and I'm afraid the sunroof will rule out any overhead options.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wish I had the pics to show but I don't. I took a large carpeted speaker box (got it at Wally World ) and mounted my radio to it. Sat the speaker box in the rear floorboard with radio facing over the center console. I used small bungees to hook it to the seat mounts. Ran all the wiring under the front seat, under the floor mat and out the firewall. It worked great. Ran down a many a ranch road with it and it never moved. I could also take the radio out in about 2 minutes.

It was a little difficult to adjust but I got used to it. Had it that way in my last 2 trucks. It was a big radio too. I believe it was a Connexx 3300. 300 wats of blow your speakers out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
WhiskeyJack - I am looking for a fender mount bracket, do you recall who made it?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Whatever y'all do, don't mount one on the dash like this dumb did...I mounted a rci 2950 to the dash..dash had a little crack in it, plum on the opposite side I mounted the radio to, within 2 weeks time my dash busted to pieces. So now I gotta buy a new dash pad...in the meantime I took a price of rubber felt material for a flat roof n cut me out a dash pad.

·
lost
250 Posts
Whatever y'all do, don't mount one on the dash like this dumb did...I mounted a rci 2950 to the dash..dash had a little crack in it, plum on the opposite side I mounted the radio to, within 2 weeks time my dash busted to pieces. So now I gotta buy a new dash pad...in the meantime I took a price of rubber felt material for a flat roof n cut me out a dash pad.
Hey Brian01,I think the dashes of the newer trucks are made out of a different material than the plastic dashes of the second gen trucks like you have in your signature. I have my radio's on the dash of my '06 and '14 work truck with no issue's. Now for my '01,yeah forget about putting a CB on that dash and my dash is still in good shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a good EASY wire up thread. I read Rebby's write up with lots of great info but I'm not that electrically inclined and with what he has ... Hell might as well take it to a shop.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Talking bout wiring a radio or console? lol...Are you going to have a linear? Or just radio? Radio is easy hot and ground...straight to battery or just use cig lighter plug. If u are running "fire in the wire". Run the linear straight to battery, then antenna to linear and jumper from linear to radio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guess I should of said that but I was referring to the radio ... Well now that you say that I guess I shouldfigure out how to wire up the console to thanks. If there's a thread for rigging up a console I'll run the wires for the radio the same route.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I devised an easy and tidy looking installation for my 2-way radio. My radio is an ICOM 2300H so it is fairly compact and still can transmit at 65 watts.

Run wires ( +, - , and antenna ) from engine compartment through extra firewall plug above brake pedal. Bring wires forward under the console and then cross them over towards the centre console while remaining under the console, (just above your knees). Remove the lower tray that sits on the centre tunnel just forward of the jump seat, It has 3 small tray type pockets in it. It is retained by two 8 mm screws and two plug type plastic clips. It's a little stubborn to get out.

Run a coat hanger under carpet from tray location forward to console to pickup on the wires you ran. Carpet is well glued down so go easy so as to just form a path for wires.

Pull wires through to tray area.

Make two 80 degree brackets and attach them to tray from underside using counter-sunk screws from the top side. This is done after you have removed the rubber liner from tray pockets. Make the brackets only as tall as you need them to allow radio to fit. This will minimize radio vibration. Re-install rubber liner and all attach points are hidden and you have only drilled 6 holes in the plastic tray. Mount radio to brackets and adjust for viewing.

I will try to post some pictures.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here are some pics of the radio install;

Note that although you can't see them, there are washers and nylock nuts on the back side of the six countersunk screws that secure the two brackets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.