Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

CB - Anyone Have One

6814 Views 54 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  Sandhills Native
Do you have one and let's see how it's installed.
What is the best antenna setup for range?
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I have the Cobra 75 WX ST, so the controls are in the mic. The brain is mounted on the fold down panal by my knees, and the mic comes out and in down below where the ignition is.

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
I have a Cobra 18WXSTII with dual 3' antennas.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Cobra 29LTD Blue tooth for Christmas, so far it's been pretty good.

I went with the roof mount Wilson 1000, it's been good but not sure I like the look of the big antenna.

How did you guys power up your unit, I ran the power directly to the batter and used the negative ground that the battery ran to on the side of the truck.

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
I ran mine to the fuse box and battery than grounded it.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts

Nothing special. $35 Cobra, and a $50 antenna from Frys. I'll use it to talk to truckers when I need to find out whats going on with the road ahead of me, but mainly use it to talk to my buddys when we are offroading. Makes things A LOT easier than rolling down the window and yelling. All in all it is a really good investment, and the CB never gets in my way.

Mine is wired straight into the bottom 12v source.

· Registered
167 Posts

sorry the trucks a mess

I wired mine to the 12 volt power source on the drivers side, hid the coax under the cupholers. I like the wilson but the 102" whip is better for range but it hits stuff

· Registered
1,428 Posts
The antenna is what really makes or breaks a setup. You can have the best radio out there and a cheap antenna and you won't be able to reach out and touch or be satisfied. A CB that hasn't been peaked and tuned or is just off the shelf will still get good range with a decent antenna. The 102" whip is about $20 at radio shack and can't be beat for the price. The only problem is it's so long. The wilson 5000 roof mount is an awesome antenna and if you need a mag mount I'd go with the Wilson 5000 Mag mount. All this gets addicting. Next you'll be looking for linear amp's. Good luck.

· Registered
167 Posts
The antenna is what really makes or breaks a setup. You can have the best radio out there and a cheap antenna and you won't be able to reach out and touch or be satisfied. A CB that hasn't been peaked and tuned or is just off the shelf will still get good range with a decent antenna. The 102" whip is about $20 at radio shack and can't be beat for the price. The only problem is it's so long. The wilson 5000 roof mount is an awesome antenna and if you need a mag mount I'd go with the Wilson 5000 Mag mount. All this gets addicting. Next you'll be looking for linear amp's. Good luck.
:agree2:

Thats probably my 5th cb, always want better looking or louder talking

· Registered
335 Posts
I mounted it here and have dual firesticks. I am going to be upgrading to a cobra 29 with weather and bluetooth.

· Air cooled, Beer Fueled
285 Posts
If you're into electronics and don't mind modding a brand new radio the RCI 2950 10m radio is a great piece of gear. It can be modded to operate over the CB frequencies, the stock radio pushes 10 or 15 watts (I think - it may be 7, I forget). The only bummer is the display reads the frequency, not the channel so instead of "9" the display reads "27.065" - not a big deal, just print yourself off a cheat sheet of the CB channels and their corresponding frequencies and you're good.

I haven't had a chance to install it in my rig yet, but I had one in my GMC 1/2 Ton Gasser a few years back and loved it. Used a K40 roof mount antenna and drilled through the cab rather than fart around with mag mounts. Not sure what your preference is but the roof is a great grounding area.

· Registered
180 Posts
I have Galaxy 949 peaked to 45 watts. Works pretty good. I have a whip mounted to my rear bumper but thought about movin it to the center of my bed. I use it to talk to friends on trips and to truckers when in traffic. Its mounted to my center console so it sits right at my arm rest. Power is wired staight to the battery with an inline fuse.

· Registered
197 Posts

Nothing special. $35 Cobra, and a $50 antenna from Frys. I'll use it to talk to truckers when I need to find out whats going on with the road ahead of me, but mainly use it to talk to my buddys when we are offroading. Makes things A LOT easier than rolling down the window and yelling. All in all it is a really good investment, and the CB never gets in my way.

Mine is wired straight into the bottom 12v source.
Hey TX

I had that same teconsha unit in my 1/2 ton and if i remember correctly(don't quote me) but I don't think the pendulum is designed to function properly if mounted sideways.
The knob on the underside(the way you have it mounted) is supposed to be set up level with the ground when it is mounted. If your doing alot of towing you may want to look into that.

I have a small CB setup I will take pictures later on and post. I made an antenna mount to go on the driver side of the hood. and mounted the cb directly in front of the foldup seat storage

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
It is a Cobra.. It works fine so far 2 years later. With the whip on her we have gotten about 5miles apart.

· vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
14,088 Posts
I've got a General Lee that's peaked and tuned and a texas star 250 linear, astatic mic, skip shooter 4.5 footer and good coax. When u set up the antenna you need to get your SWR to dead key at 1.0-1.5 that way you aren't over recieving your radio which will burn out your finals. My truck is a reg cab 6spd so all my stuff is on the back wall and the CB is centered between the driver/pass seat on the wall. If you want a good radio get a cobra 29 and have it peaked and tuned and get a linear to push it out there. A cobra 29 new that's been peaked and tuned runs about $115 then you gotta get 18' coax, 3' jumper coax, antenna mount, 10-12ga wire for hookin up the radio and a good mic either road king or astatic.

· Registered
197 Posts
It is a Cobra.. It works fine so far 2 years later. With the whip on her we have gotten about 5miles apart.
I was talking about the Elec brake controller. normally it would be mounted where your radio is or in a similar manner

· Registered
2,137 Posts
whats "peaked & tuned" mean? i never new there was so much involved with a CB. I thought you just hook it up & away you go.

Great info on CB`s, keep it up guys.

· vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
14,088 Posts
whats "peaked & tuned" mean? i never new there was so much involved with a CB. I thought you just hook it up & away you go.

Great info on CB`s, keep it up guys.
It's when you get a bone stock CB and the tech goes and bumps up the wattage and tunes it for a jumper/linear. You can get a cobra 29 and put a talk back relay in it and a moss fit final and have just as much radio as a General Lee or Connex 3300 but you won't have as many channels. When you run a linear you have to run the CB on low and it should be around 2-3 watts dead key. My General Lee barefoot on high is around 80 watts and with the Texas Star 250 it's close to 275watts if not a little more. That means it will get out 10 or so miles and sometimes 20miles.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.