Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been hearing that Caterpillar is developing a smaller version of their C7 engine for use in light/medium duty trucks, judging from Cat's reputation for torquey engines, it will be a 2.5 liter four cylinder with 700 pounds of torque:lol3:, just kidding about that, has anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i personally haven't. I know there is a dude in tucson the took a late 70's ford and put a little caterpillar motor in it. was way cool.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not sure of that, But I know Cat has always made the 3126 which would fit in a pickup... Not sure why they never put in though....

SS

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
yea but how long can a light duty truck hold a diesel in it. theres got to be a breaking point somewhere eventually.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i heard ford was putting them in to replace the stroke, but im pretty sure a motor THAT good would tear a ford to pieces,:lol3: thats just what i've been hearing

·
Banned
393 Posts
There has been rumors going around for years that ford was gonna pull the powerstroke. I even heard that they thought about ending the contract with dodge to use the Cummins. But that rumor ended with dodge going with a 330 Cat. Its all hearsay...but id buy a CAT powered Dodge!! Doubt they have all the emmisions crap, and talk about a rattler!!!If it sounds anything like our Dozer...hoohohohohhohoho...im getting a little HOR^Y thinking about it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
ive seen a 79 dodge power wagon 4x4 4 door with a 3208 cat and a mid 80's model chevrolet one ton with a 3208, talk about some trucks with some major cajones.

·
Banned
393 Posts
I wonder how fast the Ball Joints go out on those.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Someone enlighten me as to the huge enthusiasm for a Caterpillar powered pickup truck, almost every time there is a Caterpillar thread here there are people swearing that they love their Cummins but would ditch it in heartbeat for a Caterpillar powered product...

From the articles I've read Caterpillar is generally on the anti-emissions control side of the argument but they still have to comply with the federal laws for such things.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mybe it ic going in a wantabe truck? toy-nisia not?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run about 10 dump trucks heavy duty 89k gwr 4 with cats and 6 with MBE motors i would never buy another truck or pickup truck with a cat in it my dumps have cat C13 acer motors and they are pieces of SXXX all trucks are 2006 model years and the CAT powered trucks are ALWAYS in the shop while the mercedes powered trucks have NO problems what so ever now why didnt Dodge Chrysler get Benz to give em one of their diesels to put in the pick up?? would have been pretty badass!!! I love the cummins though cuz its easy maintnance and the next order of dumps will all have cummins motors thats for sure!! just not enough MBE technicians around

·
Registered
680 Posts
cat doesnt comply with the new emissions standards, thats why they are fined 10 grandish per motor and then they just turn around and pass that cost on the the purchaser of the motor/truck. Atleast that is what I have been hearing around work. (I'm a tech at freightliner)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cat doesnt comply with the new emissions standards, thats why they are fined 10 grandish per motor and then they just turn around and pass that cost on the the purchaser of the motor/truck. Atleast that is what I have been hearing around work. (I'm a tech at freightliner)
thats why they say it takes lots of green to run a deere, but it takes lots of GOLD to run a cat!:lol3: but caterpillar engines are known for reliability and torque way down low where you need it, thats why semi's can pull long hills in one gear pulling 80,000 pounds at 1100 RPM.:lol3: i've driven a few dump trucks with the C-15 ACERT engines, and they pull and pull and pull, im not sure why your having such reliability problems with your engines, the company i worked for went to an all CAT powered dump truck fleet, switching from detroit engines (imagine that) because the CAT motors are so much more reliable

·
Registered
235 Posts
Detroit 60 series was voted the 2nd best diesel engine ever (1st was the rudolf diesel original diesel engine) in a truckers magazine I get. Anyways Cats are over rated IMO, good motors but pricey and like I said, over rated.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Detroit 60 series was voted the 2nd best diesel engine ever (1st was the rudolf diesel original diesel engine) in a truckers magazine I get. Anyways Cats are over rated IMO, good motors but pricey and like I said, over rated.
im a CAT guy through and through, i worked in a caterpillar shop for awhile until i got a better job offer working for a Case dealer. either way, i HATE detroit engines, that 6V-71 2-stroke they made did it for me, i've worked on many a detroit and IMO, they have not improved a bit. if you want power, reliability, and low cost to operate, get a cummins, if cost is no issue, buy a CAT, and if you want an oil leaking pile, buy a Detroit. im not trying to start a this engine is the best and nobody can tell me otherwise war, this is all just my personal opinion, like i've told other people, to each his own:thumbsup

·
Banned
393 Posts
Getting a little off topic here, but JBH tractors makes an AWSOME high speed Farm tractor. They re-classisfied these tractors because they can travel at over 50mph on the highway. This makes it the fastest tractor you can purchase in the USA, and guess what powers them.....A CUMMINS!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
im a CAT guy through and through, i worked in a caterpillar shop for awhile until i got a better job offer working for a Case dealer. either way, i HATE detroit engines, that 6V-71 2-stroke they made did it for me, i've worked on many a detroit and IMO, they have not improved a bit. if you want power, reliability, and low cost to operate, get a cummins, if cost is no issue, buy a CAT, and if you want an oil leaking pile, buy a Detroit. im not trying to start a this engine is the best and nobody can tell me otherwise war, this is all just my personal opinion, like i've told other people, to each his own:thumbsup

Agree totally, all Detroits are crap except the 60 series. Dont know how they went from oil puking boat anchors, to the 60 series, but they did it! 60 series sucks now, MB f'd with it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i've never heard of a JBH in my life, but most of the Steigers and i think all of the Big Bud tractors are powered by cummins, im not sure on that though, at work we had a steiger that had a Big Cam 400 in it, and it was a bad Azz tractor:lol3:

·
Registered
249 Posts
the buses at my work (Texas A&M Transportation Services) have 4 banger detroits. These are the slowest machines I have ever driven! They got new buses that are 5 feet longer with CAT 6's and they run pretty good.... don't really know what my point was but yeah... lol

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i did an inframe on a series 60, and that motor sat for three months with the motor taken apart, and when i put my nice clean oil pan back in and took it out to replace the gasket, there was about a half inch of oil in the bottom of the pan, a running loke after that was that detroits will leak oil even when there is none in them:lol3:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts