Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed my exhaust, MBRP single cat back. I was told i need to keep the catalytic converter. I,m not to impressed with it, its not loud enough i think the catalytic restricts the flow to much. So the question is do i really need it..................:confused013:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Check your local emmisions laws...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Our 02 doesn't have it, lost it somewhere LOL. It gets e-tested and they never say any thing about it. It does so well it gets 2 yrs without an e-test. That's a snap test not a visual smoke test.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been straight pipe for 3 years now, cops haven't even looked in my direction.

E-tests are a joke for our trucks, mine didn't even get started, I just talked with the guy about what's been done to it.

Pull it and store it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Im im the process of getting a 06 2500 and am looking to do the same thing,
I know what the visual smoke test but whats the snap test?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
so just floor it when in park?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Yep, the just rev the snot out of them LOL.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats the only way my truck smokes even with the Bully Dog PMT and hauling a big Skid Steer.

But I guess that's a good thing cuz smoke means un burnt fuel.

Getting back to the Snap test thou..

I see so many Transports, Dump Trucks and Cement trucks rolling coal how do they pass the test? If we were spewing that much we would fail for sure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thats the only way my truck smokes even with the Bully Dog PMT and hauling a big Skid Steer.

But I guess that's a good thing cuz smoke means un burnt fuel.

Getting back to the Snap test thou..

I see so many Transports, Dump Trucks and Cement trucks rolling coal how do they pass the test? If we were spewing that much we would fail for sure.
Thats a good question, I'd like to know that as well

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Just gut the cat so it appears as you have one it will free up flow and act as a resonator.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've looked and then looked again. I cant find a cat on my truck?????? It's a US truck and it sounds stock, so what's up? I notice the exhaust system is held together by exhaust clamps, where most factory systems are welded on other vehicles. Is that normal with these trucks.

Also regarding the e-test (though I'm farm plate exempt) I understand that our medium duty diesels are only a visual inspection of the exhaust system anyways, so how would smoke make a difference? I had mine tested when I bought it just to see how it did. To my surprise, the test consisted of nothing but N/A's under every reading.

I know heavy duty diesels (tractor trailers) get the probe down the stack and I have had to do a roadside snap test before. It would be very hard to find a semi that won't roll coal under load. I think what they are looking for is if you smoke too much when the engine isn't pulling.

Therefore, ditch the catalytic. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
anyone know if the 2003 or 2004 2500 comes with a cat??

·
Registered
218 Posts
No - 2004.5 and newer have catalytic convertors. I took my muffler off and retained the "cat" - sounds the same as if I took the cat off and put in MBRP muffler. I have a MPRP muffler and cat delete pipe sitting in the garage as back up in case the cat plugs up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok cool so anything pre 2004.5 have no emission controls on the exhaust system?

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
so is there any emission control on the exaust stystem at all??
can I run a turbo back exhaust and still pass emissions on an 03 or 04?

·
Registered
382 Posts
so is there any emission control on the exaust stystem at all??
can I run a turbo back exhaust and still pass emissions on an 03 or 04?
as long as you have a muffler yes, should not trip any alarms when the tech is doing the visual inspection.

your factory exhaust rusted away :thumbsup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a '98 12 valve and it did have a cat.I've replaced my exhaust with a 4" system and put the cat away just in case.
My e-tests are performed by Barry's Mobile in my driveway and it consists of an opacity test wherein,they put a sniffer in my exhaust,run the revs up to 2200 RPM and rate how thick the smoke output is.The rating is from 0-30,0 being no smoke at all and 30 being unable to see light through the smoke.Anything under 30 is a pass :confused013: .My last e-test was this past March wherein I scored an average of 0.6 on 3 tests!!Everytime I see my e-test guy,he jokes that he's back to steal my money :S: .

Frank

ok cool so anything pre 2004.5 have no emission controls on the exhaust system?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got rid off my catalytic, trucks louder but my etg are down and throttle response better should have done it long time ago!!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts