Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in one of the only parts of Nevada where they actually smog test diesels and as such I can not delete my cat like I want to. I want to put a turbo back system on it to drop EGT's and help the turbo out but it would be a shame to pipe it into a catalytic. Has anyone come up with a good solution for making a drop out catalytic that I can put back in quickly for smog?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I will tell you what my buddies cousin did (he also lives in Nevada).

Bought a universal cat for 4" pipe. Knocked the center out of it and slid it on over the outside of the pipe. Clamped her down. Looks like he has cat but really doesn't:)

He passed no problem. Did not pass without a cat in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will tell you what my buddies cousin did (he also lives in Nevada).

Bought a universal cat for 4" pipe. Knocked the center out of it and slid it on over the outside of the pipe. Clamped her down. Looks like he has cat but really doesn't:)

He passed no problem. Did not pass without a cat in place.
I live in Cali and you will pass the visual this year with it punched out but next year from what I've been told is they will actualy be putting somthing in the pipes to test the emisions coming out just like they do the gas trucks. I was also told that if you get pulled over by a DOT inspection and dont have a cat it's a big fine and here where I live they have already started to random DOT inspections. So I'm looking into doing the same with a dummy cat but keep my stock cat in order to pass smog

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They do dyno test the truck every year so I was thinking a out setting up something that let's me pass and then it goes on the shelf. I was thinking about band clamps or something like that. I can not find any 4 inch exhaust flanges with a gasket otherwise I would run them.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The flanges may give it away as to what your doing, i was under some heat a few years ago when i ran a flanged setup to get my pro street car to pass, i've never failed a diesel emissions test with a hollow cat, i'd just pound the pipe threw like everyone else said and not worry to much about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts