Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Catalytic Converter they wanna get rid of?
Recently moved to Fort Collins and need to pass emissions ASAP.
My exhaust is 4".
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe 719.530.1503
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Do you have a tuner on your truck? If so which one? If by chance your running a smarty you can run SW0 which is half power and pass emmisions w/o a cat!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Justutt67,

Thanks for responding. My truck is a 98 12 valve. It does not have a tuner. It does have bigger injectors, and the fuel plate is modified. Part of the reason that I failed the emissions test is because the truck does not have a cat. I was told by the shop that since the truck came with a cat, it has to have one on to pass.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Wow I didn't even know they had cats on diesels in 98! I have a cat you can borrow but I will need it back!

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Justutt67,

Thanks for responding. My truck is a 98 12 valve. It does not have a tuner. It does have bigger injectors, and the fuel plate is modified. Part of the reason that I failed the emissions test is because the truck does not have a cat. I was told by the shop that since the truck came with a cat, it has to have one on to pass.
Are you positive it was build with a CAT? As far as I know only the California models had them. Not very many of them that's for sure.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't worry mine didn't pass either. They ran it and according to the test all the #'s were 0's. But since someone forgot to take off the engine sticker (oopps) that says it had a cat from the factory they failed it. I'm to lazy to put the darn thing back in so i'll just register it out east and say haha to Arapahoe County. Plus it don't make sense that it would pass with 0's anyway and no cat on.

·
CO President
2,642 Posts
Are you positive it was build with a CAT? As far as I know only the California models had them. Not very many of them that's for sure.
Yeah mine had one too. Non CA 98 12 valve.:doh:

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Very interesting. Guess that makes you guys the red headed step child.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Passed!

Well thanks everyone for your input.
Thanks especially to justutt67 who let me borrow a cat - he even installed it for me!
I was able to pass the emissions test after my second attempt.

What I learned from this experience is that the cat quiets the truck as much as the muffler. Since I need the cat more than I need the muffler, I am looking to trade a newer 4" Aero muffler with a couple hundred miles on it (it's currently off the truck) for a 4" cat.

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Joe I have a 4" cat ill trade you if your muffler is a 404xl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im in the same boat down here in denver. If there is anyone in the area with a good cat for the same truck (98 12valve) they are willing to sell I need one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts