Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been planning to gut my cat and strait pipe the truck but I have had two people tell me that it will screw up the computer and give me a lot of problems. Is there any truth to that or what?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do however have one. I don't see how it will affect anything? There are no o2 sensors and my experience with diesels is to get rid of as much back pressure as possible.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
yeah the turbo offers all the back pressure you need, and if there are no sensors after the cat then have fun removing it!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I did mine on my 07. People think too much and usually dont know what they are talking about.. Gutting your cat WILL reduce your EGTs, maybe add mileage, and add a little more volume out the pipe. Thats it

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I thought. Guess I will continue as planned. What is the best way to gut it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Kalifornia testing

If your in Calif., you may want to either rethink it or just temporarily remove it. Smog testing will probably be coming for diesels (last I heard it would be for 1997 and up).

Would be a real pisser to gut it and then have the "State" fine you and have you re-install it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Most just delete it and keep it in the garage. Keep in mind it is like $1800 to replace from the dealer. Just put the pipe in and be done. I have heard that gutting it makes the exhaust sound funny because of a big empty football in the exhaust and have nothing to back it up and could be totally false.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about that to. I have to pass a visual inspection here but thats it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did mine on my 07. People think too much and usually dont know what they are talking about.. Gutting your cat WILL reduce your EGTs, maybe add mileage, and add a little more volume out the pipe. Thats it
exactly right

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought about that to. I have to pass a visual inspection here but thats it.
Wow - visual inspections already! Won't be long before they stick a sensor up your.....

And to add insult to injury, the govt. will probably charge twice as much to smog a diesel than a gasser.

FXW, what state are you in? How often do they do the visual inspection? How much?

Hadn't thought about the noise generated by having the exhaust gas expand into the gutted cat and then compressing again to go out the tailpipe. Yeah, that might generate a funny sound. Then again, until somebody uses a sound-loudness meter before/after, we're just jacking our jaws making our own sound.

thnx
HB

·
Registered
294 Posts
took mine off, and no problems. got stowed in the garage just in case

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think gutting it could sound cool.. maybe it would kinda sound lower or somethin. anyway i dont really know either, i should use my stock cat and see. It might just make it sound kinda bubbly like its underwater or somethin. I dont see them smog testing in texas any time soon.. Until then my cats layin out in the weather behind the barn right along with the muffler, and the cat from my mother'n laws dmax.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well we have an emissions test here in Chattanooga. Its $10 and they do a visual and plug in and make sure you aren't throwing any codes. On the old ones they check the tail pipe but my 94 passed no problem.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
04.5's have cats. just straight pipe it. unless you want it REAL loud, keep the cat.
if you dont mind the sound, straight pipe it from the turbo.
the 4" will sound hella good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well i have a good mexican mechanic that i go to for inspections. He asks if the blinkers work, if its running, and if i have insurance. I tell him yes. Then i pay him 10 dollars and he gives me an inspection sticker. Is the emission testing part of your inspection sticker or how does that work?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We don't even have a sticker. We just have to have the inspection receipt to get tags and renew. Its a pain.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Well i have a good mexican mechanic that i go to for inspections. He asks if the blinkers work, if its running, and if i have insurance. I tell him yes. Then i pay him 10 dollars and he gives me an inspection sticker. Is the emission testing part of your inspection sticker or how does that work?
Where is he located???

·
Registered
184 Posts
We don't even have a sticker. We just have to have the inspection receipt to get tags and renew. Its a pain.
:popcorn: Sounds like it may remain easy for me unless my mechanic dies :rof He passes my ford with stacks, my dodge with straight 5 inch, and it looks like someones planning on stealing the dpf off my chevy :w:

And sorry, hes in Lipan, Tx which is near weatherford

1 - 20 of 22 Posts