Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard it's a pain in the arse to take the cat and down pipe out of the 2010's so I was wondering if it's possible to do a cat back exhaust instead of turbo back, and what problems if any would arise??

·
Registered
943 Posts
You can do a DPF delete only. No problem. I currently run with the stock downpipe, but I have run with it deleted too.

Honestly the downpipe swap is much easier than some people say... The only way it could be easier is if you didn't have to drops the trans crossmember. Even still that's no big deal at all. This exhaust is so easy to work on with the flat flanges and fact there is so much room.

·
Cummins Nut
340 Posts
Cat back is a waste of time and money with absolutely no benefits.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Cat back is a waste of time and money with absolutely no benefits.
Disagree. The DPF is the only thing that will give you problems. The Cat and NOX are not an issue.
I just deleted the DPF only. To me thats all that mattered. JMO

·
Registered
114 Posts
delete the nox and dpf... easiest and most effective if you want to put it back together later.

if you're ditching the dpf, you might as well ditch the nox too
This is what I was advised to to and what 've ordered the parts for, along with Smary & EGR block off stuff, but now I'm wondering:

1 - Is the NOX filter the big round cannister on the horizontal pipe or is that a CAT? I've seen a diagram that called both the big round one AND a much smaller one on the down tube as CAT and it didn't show a NOX filter. :confused013:

2 - Is there some sort of filter or something I can get for the vent lines to the tranny? I've been advised to pull the metal tubes out and just leave them open, but I drive in dusty conditions and don't want dirt etc getting in there. But I don't know where 'there' is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
This is what I was advised to to and what 've ordered the parts for, along with Smary & EGR block off stuff, but now I'm wondering:

1 - Is the NOX filter the big round cannister on the horizontal pipe or is that a CAT? I've seen a diagram that called both the big round one AND a much smaller one on the down tube as CAT and it didn't show a NOX filter. :confused013:

2 - Is there some sort of filter or something I can get for the vent lines to the tranny? I've been advised to pull the metal tubes out and just leave them open, but I drive in dusty conditions and don't want dirt etc getting in there. But I don't know where 'there' is.

Thanks!
Question #2 Leave the lines open. It's a pressure differential sensor so dust will not get sucked into it. I personaly pulled the rubber hoses off also.

·
Registered
13,852 Posts

Thanks!
1. the catalytic converter in the downpipe is a "diesel oxidation catalyst", the first large canister in the stream is the "NOx retuction catalyst", and the next larger canister is the "Diesel Particulate Filter"

it is better to just remove the NOx cat and DPF than to just remove the DPF... isn't really any greater effort or cost.

2. pull the metal tubes, get a small piece of hose and loop the two ports together

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like I'm on the right track. I've read that connecting the two hoses will cause it to throw a code. Not true? It sounds like leaving open won't cause a problem like I was fearing. I guess if I need to return to stock I could stick a vacuum cleaner hose up there to get out whatever will get in there if a filter or connecting together won't work.

Also, I just noticed this thread pertains to a 2010....mine is an 09. Good to know which is the NOX. I was hoping I'd get rid of that...it looks like both are going to be heavy and will probably fall right on me as I try to disconnect them while laying on back. Any tricks for doing this without a lift?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just did mine 2 days ago. It's heavy but not to the point where you have to worry about it crushing you :hehe:
The hardest part of mine was getting the DPF to pull out of the pipe downstream. It took a bit of wiggling but eventually came apart.
I left the metal tubes and EGT sensors in place on the DPF section and removed it all in one shot.
You will want to leave the ports on the pressure sensor open to atmosphere, unless you are running a pressure sim. I have a pressure sim so I taped up the connector and ports to keep them clean. I guess I could have taken the sensor right off but thats just one more thing to worry about down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts