Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing the Cat 2 micron filter setup with the fleetguard filter heads. Do I use the square shaped o-ring that came on the filter head or do I need one like that came with Cat water seperator 175-2949 which is a round o-ring?:confused013: Thanks

·
4,669 Posts
Hmmm , ??? I would try the one that came with the filter , and if it leaks i would try the other. You should know if it was leaking real quick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1R 0749 does not come with an oring. I don't about the other filter.

·
4,669 Posts
my filter comes with the big flat o ring, the big one that is like the one on my oil filters. Is this the o-ring youre speaking of??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oring that I'm questioning is the one on the filter head itself where the filter screws on to the head assembly.

The water/seperator filter has an additional oring that in its packaging.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not sure, but I think that you may need a filter base designed for a secondary filter, instead of primary w/s filter...???

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have both of these filters sitting on my coffee table right now...the 175-2949 I just bought actually had an o ring internally just below the threaded part of the filter that screws onto the base, which seals on the threaded post on the filter base. Hard to describe; I can take a pic if you want.

Does seem strange that the 1R-0749 doesn't come with an oring to seal between the filtered/unfiltered fuel. I would think it should have one. GDP sells them, so I imagine they come with their kit...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would like to set up this system. What/where is the best way to start. Did you start with a kit or put the pieces together yourself. Also think i saw someone on here with a fuel gauge on their setup. How do I go about doing this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I deal with our CAT dealer pretty regularly for work, so I did a little research and ordered the parts through them. Pic of what I'm using:

Part numbers:

Filter base: 280-2698
Water separator: 175-2949
Fuel Filter: 1R-0749 (1R-0750 will also work; it's shorter)

The filter bases use a 7/8" O ring boss fitting (same as -10). From there, I'm going to -06 flare fittings for everything else. Can mount on the frame rail, but i'm going to squeeze mine under the air intake horn. Will post more pics/part numbers when I'm done...

·
4,669 Posts
Well i just got the new version , the base without the o-ring. I was using the baldwin base and it looked like the old cat base. I was having trouble getting the cat filter off. I even used a 36 In. pipe wrench but it just tore the filter in two. I think if i had that second little o-ring , it might have helped the removal. When i change the filter on this new base, i will see if it comes right off. I hope so because it would suck trying to change it out on the road if it is like the old one was.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is it possible you're putting the filter on too tight? It only needs to be snug; 1/4-turn (or so) after finger tight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes the square d-ring with the fuel/water seperator for the filter base....needs it or it tends to suck air. They throw one with the new filter because sometimes it will fall off and sometimes it will stay there...just make sure that the base only has one d-ring.

The letter there mainly helps with loosing prime....we have seen 2-3 trucks with that problem but haven't updated them yet so when I do I will let the forum know if it helped with loosing prime.

Throwing nozzels on this weekend and soon will be rigging my filteration set up with CAT filters.....fuel for sure and probably use a CAT oil filter with a Amsoil relocate kit!!

·
4,669 Posts
Is it possible you're putting the filter on too tight? It only needs to be snug; 1/4-turn (or so) after finger tight.
Well i figured i did on the first one, so the fight to get it off made me watch myself. I do lube the gasket and when i installed the filter, i just BARELY even snugged it up. I turned it til the rubber touched the head. That thing was loose enough for a toddler to spin off. After a few months of driving and time for a change, TIGHT AS HELLL, :confused013: Thats when the 36 IN. pipewrench was needed. Oh well , we will see what happens with this new filter head when its time to change the filter again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you oiling the o-ring? I've had trouble every time I didn't oil it...

dontstrokeme, a couple questions; so you're saying that the 0794 and 0750 filters need the o-ring on the stem even with the new bases?

also, what oil filter # are you going to use with they bypass unit?

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
The 1R-0749 did not come with a o-ring. Should it?
The 175-2949 did come with one.
Many f/w seps use an o-ring that goes on the post of the filter base (the Baldwin FS1212 I use is another one)...

The 2um filters are designed to not need them thou. SO use it on the f/w and not on the 2um.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah only the the Water Seperators run the oring on the stud.

Looking at running the CAT 1R1807...same as the 1R0739 but high effiency....just trying to find the correct filter base....C3R serial prefix 322's run a remote filter base if you wanted to try your local CAT dealer. These filters run on 3116's up to C7's....roughly the same size as our 5.9L's....bigger filter will also add oil capacity....I belive the 1R1807 holds 2-3 quarts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah only the the Water Seperators run the oring on the stud.

Looking at running the CAT 1R1807...same as the 1R0739 but high effiency....just trying to find the correct filter base....C3R serial prefix 322's run a remote filter base if you wanted to try your local CAT dealer. These filters run on 3116's up to C7's....roughly the same size as our 5.9L's....bigger filter will also add oil capacity....I belive the 1R1807 holds 2-3 quarts.
Thanks for the info...I'm guessing thats a full flow filter, so you'd want to add a restriction inline to make it a bypass? Post up the info if you get it done:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts