Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 cummins vp truck i had 17psi of fuel pressure with a stock replacment pump and a new 9 micron filter. Itwould go down to 0psi under full load.

I replaced the banjo fittings and lines from the filter canister to the vp with 1/2inch hose and fittings, 17spi at idle and 5psi under full load.

next i bought a "good" (or i was told would be good) carter fuel pump that i mounted back by the tank on the frame and have 1/2" line from the sending unit all the way to the vp44. 9psi at idle 6psi under full load.

id like to have 17 at idle and no less the 14ish under full load.

is there a better pump?:confused013:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There are a few good pumps, others will chime in soon.
Keep the site sponsors in mind when you purchase.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Forget about Carter/Airtex. Start looking at some of the aftermarket performance pumps like FASS or Airdog. Both make good products and will get your pressures where they need to be. If you have the coin, I would strongly suggest checking out the mechanical pumps like the DTT Assassin.

Remember, anything less than 10 psi and damage has probably already occurred to your VP44.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool thanks I've seen and looked into the mechanical pumps but i don't like the fact that they're under the truck i live in washington and there's debris and mud/crap I'm worried about.
what Fass model would you recommend?

would putting a (regulated restricter) of some sort on the return line work? anyone seen/heard of that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would putting a (regulated restricter) of some sort on the return line work? anyone seen/heard of that?[/QUOTE said:
anyone do anything like this? is it a bad idea?

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
There are reasons why no one runs the stock pumps. Fass is the way to go. What are your goals for your truck as far as performance wise?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont have a stock lift pump, its some carter pusher pump. I tow a 35ft 5th wheel twice a year and a mini excavator once a month other then that its my DD. id like to instal my edge comp box but im not going to until i get my fueling figured out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also what model of Fass would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
anyone do anything like this? is it a bad idea?

Nope, don't restrict the return plumbing.
You can remove the return fitting/banjo bolt and see if the check ball is seated or stuck open....which would let your lift pump freeflow and not build up any pressure.
It's the fitting on the left,

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Clunk, the fuel goes through the vane pump & back to the distributor pump & then through a 1/8 or so gallery to the retuen line. Unless the pump was wiped, it will not be affected by the return fitting.

Get a Fass. What you get all depends on your budget & honest plans for the truck. I would suggest to call Diesel performance parts. Cummins, Duramax, Powerstroke. to get good advice for a purchase.
Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Sweet, ill check when i get home.

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
Yeah if you are gonna run just the edge you dont need the 150. Thats what I have and im glad I do. Once you start modding it can take over your life lol

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Well, as some have already mentioned, you will be wanting a FASS since you don't want a mechanical style that mounts to the front of the oil pan. The FASS will mount back on the frame, right in front of the tank. I am not sure about the price difference in the pumps but I would go ahead and get the highest flowing one you want/can afford. With a name like project1000hp, you will probably want a higher flowing model. Lol

Before you order it, make sure what kind of pump you currently have. I know you have a carter but do you still have the stock pump mounted also? If so, is it on the block or in the tank? If you have a tank mounted fuel pump then you will need to purchase a draw straw or sump with the FASS. I recommend the sump option but to each his own. If you do not have a pump in the tank then you can get by without the draw straw or sump but you will have 1/4 tank issues (fuel pump will start to suck air at 1/4 tank and pressure will got to zero for a few seconds...not good). You can't take full advantage of the FASS unless you get a draw straw or sump because the lines coming out of the sending unit are too restrictive compared to the 1/2" lines that are installed on the FASS.

Make sure you remove all of the parts of the old fuel system to install the new one. If you get a FASS then you should be able to bypass the stock filter as well and go straight from the tank to the FASS and then straight from the FASS to the VP with all 1/2" lines.

This should get you up and running very strong!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2001 Hypertech Cummins

i have on my truck now a Carter P4070. mounted to the frame rail. Stock lines and pump on the block are bypassed, 1/2" adapter from the draw straw to half inch line, from there i have 1/2" rubber line going into the pump on the frame then to stock filter, (no banjo bolts) all fittings, that came with my vulcan "big line kit" and from the stock filter to the vp44 1/2 inch line and fittings.

So none of the stock fuel system are there except the sending unit, fuel tank, fuel filter canister "with a new filter" and the Vp...

and still 9psi at idle and 5psi WOT. what am i missing? is my pump just a pile? ive got plenty of $$ i just don't have enough knowledge as to what model of fass is any good. id rather buy a good powerful lift pump for 8 900 bucks then replace the vp.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Me is exactly right. The Carter pump is junk. Unfortunately, there are really only two electric pumps that have ever been worth anything and those are the Airdog (also makes the Raptor) and the FASS. If you do a little research you will see that Airdog (Pureflow is the actual company) was bought out a few years ago and the pumps have been junk ever since. DO NOT BUY AN AIRDOG OR A RAPTOR.

That pretty much leaves FASS. If you call a vendor and price is not a problem then they can help you out to get the best FASS you can get. Not really any such thing as going too big when it comes to your lift pump and the bigger you go the more room you have to grow. There is also the FuelLab option but it is so expensive that there are very few that have tried it so very little info is known about it. It is supposed to be good but again, I just don't know.

Since you have the setup you described, the FASS install should be very easy. All you will have to do is put the FASS in place of the Carter and then set up a bypass topass the stock filter housing. You would be best off to get another length of 1/2" line (will probably be included with your FASS) and just take it straight from the FASS to the VP fitting. As long as your wiring is good you will be good to go from there. Should only take you an hour or so from start to finish considering all of the lines you already have run.

If you have any more questions, feel free to let us know. :thumbsup:

Reactions: project1000hp

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right on, I'm just hoping this truck does not end up being a money pit. I had an audi s4 twin turbo. Wayyyy to much money into that.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INPUT

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
Well I have some news for you. If Project1000hp is your goal then it will be a money pit. What is the saying? If it fornicates, flys, floats, or has 1000 hp it is cheaper to rent :rof close at least.

Anything that you build for more than stock power levels is gonna cost money. If we all cared about saving money we would all drive new civics for $160 a month payment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very true, project1000hp is not a goal just an impulse username that was not taken. Should say project300hp haha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.