Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I posted about a bad vibration yesterday. I got under the truck and looked, I have a two piece driveline. I assume the carrier bearing is the piece at the end of the front drive shaft, where the second drive shaft connects. I am not sure how to tell if the carrier bearing is bad, but with the truck off and in park, I was able to lift the drive shaft about 1/2 an inch in any direction. Would that mean this is the cause of the vibration? I cant find a write up on it, and almost all the posts referencing a carrier bearing are on 3rd gens. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
you shouldnt get any play in the driveshaft up/down/side/side. That bearing should be tight. If theres any play I would say replace it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant tell if the bearing has play actually, because its surrounded by rubber, which gives a 1/2" in all directions. Is that not the way it should be? Is the rubber worn out?

·
Banned
393 Posts
The carrier bearing in my experience, always has a little play, it is surrounded by the rubber cushion. Not much though. If your Dodge is like the ones ive been around, 3rd Gen., then the carrier bearing goes out at about 90,000. The service guy at the dealership here says to expect it to go out about that mileage. It will start as a funny wobble, that stops either while you excelerate, or slow down or vise versa. If memory serves me correctly, its the square box shaped unit that the drive shaft goes through. Its not that hard to replace, if you can do U-joints, you can do that. The service place here charged me $200 before i realized what i could do myself.Hope this helps...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That does help. I just hope that I dont replace ANOTHER part that doesnt fix the freakin vibration.

·
Registered
141 Posts
good luck finding one

I was tring to find one for my truck today. None of my usual parts suppliers (o'reilly, parts america, car quest, advance auto) had the right one. I called my local dealer and he said that it is not available from Dodge any more. The only way to get it from them is if I bought a whole new drive shaft for $1000 and then he tells me that's not available either. I went to Napa and got the right one for $100. I then went to O'reilly and they were able to cross the number and get me one from them for $60. Their part number doesn't even register for matching my truck.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
ChuckV309,

What is the O'Reilly part number for your 97? I need one for my 96.

·
Registered
94 Posts
where to get the right one?

mine has about 1/4" movement all around. bought it a month ago had monster mudder tires that vibrated and made so much noise you didn't know that there was more vibration in the driveline. i went to advanced, $33, about the right size, but mine has 2 bolts from the top about 4 1/4" o.c., the replacement has ears off to the side holes about 6" o.c. where do i get the right one? what do i ask for, 1997? 1998 is funny i guess because of the 12 or 24 valve. to install - drop rear shaft, cut band around rubber boot? i assume that something slides thru the carrier bearing, however looking at it on the surface, it's hard to understand just what. so, cut the band, pull the shaft out the back, drop the bearing, ect. or just drop the bearing and seperate w/o cutting the band?
any input? i need it done soon, it's terrible over 45 mph. varies w/throttle.
jon

·
Registered
271 Posts
Darn vibration and noise can 2-bit ya to death thats for sure.

The drive line support bearing can growl or drone while driving. It should sound like it's coming from behind the cab.

The play in the rubber housing is not a sure thing as it is supposed to be suspendend by it.

Universal joints can do wierd things too so best to be sure. Usually these will ping when first engaging the clutch or putting tranny in drive.

·
Registered
431 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts