Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I took my creeper out and started to really look over the whole truck and the bins in the back seat floor (Crew Cab) have carpet on them. I took them out to see how they were and the carpet was soaked from the rain yesterday and had wicked up a bit into the back carpet.

I guess I have a couple extra items to get sprayed with line-x when I get the bed done.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also found I piece near the inspection cover on the tranny.

·
Substation Operator
1,152 Posts
that looks darn cool, sound's like I need to get myself busy with some sheetmetal.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live where there is a lot of snow and they do use salt so both are things that would reduce the life of those bins. I will be getting them line-x'ed. I think the engineer that thought this one out was a bit on the slow side. If they wanted it to be a cooler they should have made it double wall and lined it with foam to reduce any road noise.

Reactions: bunga

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
:doh::doh:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the other piece I found in between the motor and tranny almost like an inspection cover or something? Maybe it is there to keep material out but water out. Just guessing.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
And like a good Canuck using the Crappy Tire tools (jut like me LOL)! Atta Go! j/k:hehe::rof

That "felt" would be to reduce noise I think. Dumb set up I agree. A real "slush sucker" in our northern climate.:banghead:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's for noise and heat reduction
I get that but there has to be a better idea from the engineers that put together the truck other than carpet.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Those pictures tempt me to make my own storage compartments.

Jumper cables, tow strap, trailer hitch balls, etc...

Shyte - now I am thinking about cutting holes in my truck.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got them sprayed. No extra noise in the cab and much better piece of mind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just checked out the 2011 Grand Cherokee when I was up in Edmonton. They have put this same carpet covered plastic on the entire front and rear fender liners.

They must have done enough testing on the jeeps to think this stuff will hold up to all the salt, slush, mud, gravel, clay etc in our northern climate.!!!????

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That looks like a small plastic trash can dropped into a hole in the floor. Great, now I need to do that.:doh:

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
The carpet is to reduce the noise from errant stones hitting it. You will hear the stones much better with the Linex over the carpet.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The carpet is to reduce the noise from errant stones hitting it. You will hear the stones much better with the Linex over the carpet.
Yeah I think it is either for insulation or for noise reduction. Either way since I took them out and got them sprayed there is no more noise than there was before and I do see quite a bit of gravel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think it's a trick they've learned from Benz. The wheel liner on my wife's SUV is made of the same material, and after 4 years of dirt, rain, snow, and a little mud, it's holding up just fine. Everything pretty much hoses off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts