Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kansas Chapter VP
Big Red. 1993 W350. NV 4500. HX35.
5,402 Posts
I'm looking at it and a system real similar at Top Gun Customz. It is a complete system and looks to be good quality. I had a set of their control arms on my old truck and after they finally got the right ones to me, the quality would good. Here is that system I'm thinking about:

2.5" 03-09 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 Lift System w/Rear Mini Leaf Pack - Diesel

Might be something you want to look into.:thumbsup:

·
Vendor
1,169 Posts
The Carli starter system is a great way to level your truck. Carli makes some of the highest quality components in the industry. Another route to go is with Thuren Fabrication. He has been around for years, and also makes a high quality product.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the Carli Starter installed on my 06 3500 MC, email away if you have questions. I did the control arms as well.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
what questions do you have?

its a great system that makes the truck a heck of a lot better to drive.

Its also a REAL slippery slope lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
im looking into the carli starter system as well. do you guys now if this is a true 3" lift or just a leveling kit? i havent found any where that actually says how much the starter system lifts the truck

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's pretty close to right at 3". Maybe a hair less with a bigger front bumper or winch.

Reactions: camoboy34

·
Premium Member
18,045 Posts
Long term effects. Drive train, steering, etc? I have to keep this truck for a long time and dont want major issues .
Keeping your truck stock is always best for longevity and cost reduction. If you are set on lifting it, then Carli is probably the way to go. My truck is stock with 88,000 miles and I have no problems. I'm still on the stock ball joints, steering, tie-rods, u-joints, shocks, etc. It's all about money. If you got the money, then lift the truck and have fun, but prepared to pay for parts to keep the truck in good working order. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
well, here's why I chose the starter system. I actually wanted one of the larger kits but was trying to keep costs down. At that time, my ball joints and tie rods were completely shot! I chose to do the 8.5+ steering upgrade instead of just redoing the tie rods and installed a low mount stabilizer and steering brace at the same time. I already had a leveling kit (2.5" spacer) installed on my truck and my axle was a bit out of alignment and I wanted control arms to push it back into place. The stock shocks aren't designed to handle the extra 2.5" from the spacers so my ride was crap. The starter system gave me shocks that would compensate for the extra space plus the springs for a better ride. The lower cost (compared to one of Carli's bigger systems) allowed me to purchase the control arms at the same time. The only thing I didn't factor in was the track bar which isn't included in the starter kit. I would highly advise an adjustable to go along with the lift or things are going to be off.

If you aren't running 35" or larger tires, you shouldn't need the control arms. I previously had 4.5" backspace wheels running 295's without the need for them but that backspacing wraught havoc on my balljoints!! My last set lasted just over a year.

Bottom line is I chose the starter kit so that I could cut costs enough to add in control arms and upgrade the shocks at a later date to bring it inline with the system I really wanted but the ride is quite a bit better. It's still a BIG truck and isn't going to ride like a crown vic going down the highway, don't expect it too.

** HINT ** If you already have a leveling spacer on your front end, make sure you have the original spacers in hand when installing one of these Carli kits!!

·
Registered
11,261 Posts
My truck was woefully undersprung for my 2000# popup. It swayed all over the road and bottomed constantly.

I've got a mutt with contributions from several aftermarket suppliers.
Components from Carli or Thuren will increase the longevity of your truck,not reduce it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts