Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate a pic if possible of the Carli Starter or Performance Systems on a 3rd Gen, parked next to an all OEM truck.

I was originally looking to do a 4-5" lift, but if I can get a "smoother" ride, fit 35's easily, level, and still fit in the garage, I'd spring for the Carli. However, this truck is going to be mostly a cruiser, so off-road prowess is not needed; I just want some additional height for looks, and still have at least the factory ride.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You will have a better ride than factory w/ the Carli Starter. No more body roll along w/ not riding on your bump stops on every encounter in the road that requires your suspension to cycle. The mini leafs in the rear will eliminate the rear end hop that you encounter going around turns w/ irregularity in the road. Wash board roads & highway expansion joints will be cut down some. You will also beable to run 35" tires w/ the appropriate wheel backspacing (5.5" - 6" BS and no wider than 9" wheel, stocker wheels work fine w/ small amount of rubbing on your upper control arms at full lock, not a big issue).

Also some will say get a adjustable trac bar also. It's not necessary if money is an issue at the time, but will reduce bump steer w/ head on encounters in rough roads and tighter turning feeling. It also recenters your axle from side to side when you install the suspension system. It will be pulled about 1.5" towards the driver side.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You will have a better ride than factory w/ the Carli Starter. No more body roll along w/ not riding on your bump stops on every encounter in the road that requires your suspension to cycle. The mini leafs in the rear will eliminate the rear end hop that you encounter going around turns w/ irregularity in the road. Wash board roads & highway expansion joints will be cut down some. You will also beable to run 35" tires w/ the appropriate wheel backspacing (5.5" - 6" BS and no wider than 9" wheel, stocker wheels work fine w/ small amount of rubbing on your upper control arms at full lock, not a big issue).

Also some will say get a adjustable trac bar also. It's not necessary if money is an issue at the time, but will reduce bump steer w/ head on encounters in rough roads and tighter turning feeling. It also recenters your axle from side to side when you install the suspension system. It will be pulled about 1.5" towards the driver side.

Exactly what he said:thumbsup

·
Registered
235 Posts
dv8ctd.. Where are you located?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answer fellas. I am still torn between a quality level kit or a Fabtech 4/5" lift. I may go Fabtech and add Kings/Deavers. Funds are not an issue, but I don't want to spend $4-5K on an overbuilt suspension kit that I will never use to its' full potential. Thats what wheelers are for.

I am in Lacey, Wa.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think people get the wrong idea about Thuren/Carli/KORE Suspension. They are not only for off road where they shine. On road is drastically changed for the better. No lift will ride will out perform a suspension system on/off road. Unless you want to be sky high look. Then Suspension System are not for that person.

In the long run you will pay more for a lift then add KING or Fox Shocks w/ Deaver Mini or Full Leafs. Plus if the lift kit has coil replacements. They are not nearly as good as the Thuren/Carli/KORE Coils. Rates are different and no sagging issues.

·
Banned
585 Posts
How does it change hauling heavy loads and trailering? One would think it would squat more? Probably not a good idea for a mason's truck?? I really like the Lorenz 5100 kit, but don't really want to lift it any higher.

·
Registered
213 Posts
kore

i dont know all the stuff i read on here about the kore kit is crap i bought the recon kit cheap compared to the other stuff they sell this thing rides rough as i dont get the jolt when you hit a bump but damn i really expected more?
i mean the fit and finish is pretty nice but the road feel is not good now on the other hand turning swaying and quick turns feel better but hit a bump or on a washboard road no difference i wason one today about 35-44 mph and i vibrated like a sob that must be one sore guy on the baja 1000 . hell maby i shoulda spent the other 10,000 on the mac daddy kit (not)

·
Registered
213 Posts
big red

:thumbsupbig red i had 3000 lbs of tile in the bed yesterday and it did not squat a bit

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The mini leafs will keep your towing/hualing capabilities. The full leafs make it a 1/2 ton truck carrying capacity, but nothing that air bags take care of.

All those suspensions other than if you go w/ Lorenz 2" HD coils 6% or 23% rates. Will raise the front 2.75"-3". The rear will go from 1/2" to 1" w/ the mini packs and 1.5" w/ the full leafs. So your truck will sit level.

As for the ride quality. Depends what system you get. You will not bottom out the front like stock. Eliminates body roll and truck handles better. Full leafs w/ the 2.5" shocks your truck will ride better than the starter kits. You can valve the shocks. Can't w/ the Bilstiens 5100, but better than stock.

It also depends what size wheels you have. Going anything bigger than 18" wheels. You lose sidewall in the tires in which gives a crapper ride the bigger you go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts