Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys I'm looking to do a bit of suspension work in the spring or summer this year hopefully. I'm wondering if anybody has personal experience with both the Carli 3" multi rate coil springs and the Thuren 3" soft ride performance springs? I'm assuming ride height is very close to the same but which spring would be a better option for an on-road truck that never goes off-road? Looking for good ride quality on-road.

I was thinking about the Carli Commuter 2.0 because it comes with Fox shocks that are supposed to be tuned specifically for on-road...

Just don't want to spend lot's of money on suspension and it end up feeling like crap or worse than factory. Is it even possible to achieve a smooth ride?

Or maybe you have pieced together a custom setup using 1 of the above springs and different shocks/steering stabilizer/track bar etc...

The other thing I should mention is it get's very cold here in the winter. Not sure if that makes a difference on shock choosing?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have the 6 inch carli system, and it does ride quite smooth. I'm sure the 3 inch springs are just as good. I think Carli also has a shock valved for colder weather. I don't have any experience with Thuren, but I hear nothing but good things about it.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I have the Commuter King 2.0, Carli used my truck to test valving on the Commuter 2.0 for the 4th gens, and it made a huge difference in the ride, A whole lot smotther than stock and i dont have the full leaf packs yet just the add a leaf mini packs. In comparison to my friends 3rd gen with thuren 2.5" shocks and coils with carli full leaf packs, its alot smoother but his does pretty good on the dirt just rough every day driving especially for me when ride in the back when we carpool to and from work... He also had to wait weeks before hearing back from thuren to see if they even shipped his shocks and springs to him, while Dan at Carli took care of me very fast.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the Carli 2.5 king pin top cold weather synthetic oil and valving with full Deavers..when I first installed the system it raised the front of the truck close to 4 inches and rode like crap.. I then installed Thuren shackles to raise the back to get it higher than the front by an inch..still rode like an old lumber wagon.(still on stock tires).I then installed the longer chrome moly control arms (trying to improve ride and they were on sale) with 35 inch Toyo RT's............ the ride improved dramatically..still much firmer and solid than stock though.....................also as a side note I had to lower the rear carrier bearing 1 1/8 inches and roll the front axle back on the cams to get rid of driveline noise and takeoff shudder

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just added some 3" Thuren springs along with fox 2.0 shocks. Rides amazing! I do 75% on road and 25% off-road and performs well on both! Thuren can also valve shocks to match up with their coils just like Carli. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either setup!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: CHILL6.7

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have Thuren on the front and have been very happy. Two years down the road I had a couple questions, Don and Aaron were quick to respond.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Guys I'm looking to do a bit of suspension work in the spring or summer this year hopefully. I'm wondering if anybody has personal experience with both the Carli 3" multi rate coil springs and the Thuren 3" soft ride performance springs? I'm assuming ride height is very close to the same but which spring would be a better option for an on-road truck that never goes off-road? Looking for good ride quality on-road.

I was thinking about the Carli Commuter 2.0 because it comes with Fox shocks that are supposed to be tuned specifically for on-road...

Just don't want to spend lot's of money on suspension and it end up feeling like crap or worse than factory. Is it even possible to achieve a smooth ride?

Or maybe you have pieced together a custom setup using 1 of the above springs and different shocks/steering stabilizer/track bar etc...

The other thing I should mention is it get's very cold here in the winter. Not sure if that makes a difference on shock choosing?

Thanks in advance...

You can't go wrong with Carli or Thuren. Shocks custom tuned for you makes a huge difference. Their front sway bar helps too.

Carli Dodge Ram Performance Suspension Systems |HRT OFFROAD

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just installed a 3" Carli Pintop system on my '12 CCSB along with full deavers, sway bar and their new offset front control arms and have to say that I'm totally impressed with the ride. Much, much better on the street and awesome on rutted fire trails etc!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts