Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to spend some money on a Carli leveling kit for my '18. My goal is improve overall ride quality without affecting towing. Budget is ~$3300 (before tax).
Trying to decide if I should go with the Fox leveling system and add a few extras (adjustable track bar, sway bar, maybe the lifetime ball joints? Steering stabilizer? ) or do I go with the 'base' pin top kit with the King shocks and no extras? The pin top kit does come with an adjustable track bar, but the higher price of that kit means no sway bar (or any other options) for now. I really like the idea of the King shocks, mainly for the durability and claims of superior ride quality, but I'm not sure how big a benefit the sway bar is- is the sway bar worth passing on the Kings, or are the King shocks so far beyond the ride quality of the Fox shocks that it would be silly not to get them?

FWIW, the leveling kit with Fox shocks, track bar, sway bar and ball joints is ~$3100. The pin top leveling kit with the King shocks is $~3350.

Thoughts, comments and insights appreciated.
G

·
On call 24/7
12,501 Posts
Do you need BJ's? If not I would save the $800

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I have Don's Kings which he gave me a terrific deal on 10 years ago. At the time I spent a fair amount of time in Baja carrying my popup around. Those days are history and today a 2.0 reservoir shock would suffice. four of those and the springs will be fine. He pieces his stuff out so you add things on for the same price later.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
For $2945 you can get

-Thuren front leveling springs
-Thuren rear leveling springs
-Front adjustable track bar
-Rear Track Bar
-Fox shocks front
-Fox shocks rear
-Sway bar

Carli is over priced for the same thing Thuren offers. If your goal is to “improve overall ride quality” on a 2018 then:

-you DONT need Kings
-you DONT need ball joints (your truck is 2 years old)
-you DONT need a steering stabilizer

Oh and yes..having a sway bar is a NIGHT AND DAY difference. after lifting a truck you still get a stiff side to side wobble whenever entering a bump or merely pulling into your driveway from a angle. A new sway bar eliminates that by allowing more independent movement from the axle/frame.

If you want pics of said parts installed then click on my 2018 Build in my signature.

PS I don’t hate Carli. They’re a great company. Just trying to help get you more for your $$

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the backcountry Carli kit on my '18 3500 SRW with fox shocks. If you get anything, the sway bar (either Thuren or Carli) would be on my list. I agree that you won't need a steering stabilizer or balljoints until you would normally replace those items due to wear, then upgrade. If they are good now, don't worry about them.

I love the ride of my truck after the lift. I have 37x12.50 ridge grapplers on 18s so plenty of sidewall. It just doesn't beat me up anymore when you drive it unloaded. Great ride, Carli has it right. I'm sure Thuren does too.

If I was only going to level my truck, I would have went Thuren, I went with Carli because I just wanted a little more lift with the radius arm drops and matching rear add-a-pack so I didn't lose towing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts