Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic (not dealer), says if you stick that grease pin in the joint it will damage it to where contamination will incur. And, all the times I had it done at the dealer, they probably didn't even grease it. He comes from heavy equipment diesel repair. After 8 years with this truck, I finally noticed the sticker right by my washer fluid jug. Now I must find a shop that will grease it. Motor vehicle Fluid Font Gas Liquid

·
Registered
18 Posts
My mechanic (not dealer), says if you stick that grease pin in the joint it will damage it to where contamination will incur. And, all the times I had it done at the dealer, they probably didn't even grease it. He comes from heavy equipment diesel repair. After 8 years with this truck, I finally noticed the sticker right by my washer fluid jug. Now I must find a shop that will grease it. View attachment 958439
Does your mechanic realize that there is a grease fitting?
They may think that they need to “pierce”.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
492 Posts
FWIW I can tell mine has been greased. I have personally done it every oil change. I have the flung grease around it to prove it. I have 110k on my truck and still going. Might want to get a second opinion…?

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Mine had 116k when I got it. It took me about 10k more miles before I found the grease hole and the ball/socket already had some grease in it, so I guess it was previously done. It doesn't matter where a mechanic comes from, not many know that spot can be greased.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just went to Advanced auto, got the correct tip for under $10 and did it myself on mine with 180K on the clock. No idea if it was ever done before but I know it has been now. Easier to do it yourself and know it’s been done vs any dealer saying they did it, even if you paid them to do it.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
492 Posts
This is what it should look like, not the inflatable needle type.

View attachment 958479
I tried this style and wasn’t successful. I use the needle type and put some gorilla tape on it about 1/2” from the tip. It works really good.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
558 Posts
Interesting, I got the needle style, looked at it and thought no way. Also found a specific part # from somewhere for the Cardan joint, then found it from Advanced auto. But hey, whatever works as long as it gets some grease to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, he showed me the needle fitting for his grease gun.
Apparently I was too terse in my reply.
The joint has a flush zerk fitting, with a ball bearing and spring just like the traditional nipple types. No needle goes in a joint. If he has shown to you something that looks like a hypodermic needle, then he must believe he has need to either pierce a boot or attempt to insert it past the lip of a seal. I unfortunately have to grease flush and button zerk fittings quite often, they can be a real pain. But they are employed in locations that the traditional types can not be used.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I switched to a needle type and I pierce it. Works great. The grease moves through the joint and if you don't goon it, nothing breaks. Been using this method for a few years now.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I probed under the rubber dust cover the first time I greased mine. The second time I finally found the grease port and went through there and I think that probably gets the grease into the center of the ball.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I crawled under there and finally found the grease fitting on the Cardan. Luckily, there was red grease in there already. Guess the dealer did shoot some in. Although, they didn't even use the OEM recommended green grease.

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
16,503 Posts
FWIW I can tell mine has been greased. I have personally done it every oil change. I have the flung grease around it to prove it. I have 110k on my truck and still going. Might want to get a second opinion…?

Just my $0.02
If greased.....they tend to last a long time.

My previous 2018 RAM 4500 did not have CAD....therefore my front driveshaft turned 100% of the time.

Every oil change (13k to 15k miles) and the driveshaft was greased by me with a small hand-held grease gun utilizing the identical same tip as posted in post #9.

No cardan joint issues through 474k miles when I sold it....

·
Registered
363 Posts
I crawled under there and finally found the grease fitting on the Cardan. Luckily, there was red grease in there already. Guess the dealer did shoot some in. Although, they didn't even use the OEM recommended green grease.
Grease comes in different colors...why do you think the color matters?

Reactions: BrianF

·
Registered
363 Posts
The Color is a Clue, Not an Identifier
Grease manufacturers use colorants simply to help facilitate the identification of greases and to make them more appealing, as opposed to just brown or black. One benefit of a grease with a distinctive color is that it can help users spot an incorrect grease if, for example, a certain color of grease emerges from a grease gun when another color of grease was expected. This can be a helpful indicator, but grease color alone should never be used to identify a grease (unless you are certain that only one particular grease of a certain color is used in your facility).

The table below shows how a particular grease color may refer to several different types of grease, especially among lithium-complex greases.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts