Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
If you aint 1st..Ure LAST
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad had a 08' cummins 6speed with 7400 miles on it now. i just had the oil changed for the first time and at the shop they told him he had carbon build up in the turbo. they cleaned it and told him to not let it idel as much and to let me drive it a couple times a week. lol. any suggestions on what can be done? he wants to put a chip on at 10,000. probley edge. i want him to get the delete pipe kit but he is scared that it will throw codes and the dodge place want work on it anymore. please help. thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
its prob. just black soot there lookin at... ive been told diesel dnt have carbon in it it cant form carbon...

·
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its prob. just black soot there lookin at... ive been told diesel dnt have carbon in it it cant form carbon...
i've looked inside the turbo wen i take the intake off and its clean as a pin. no soot. we don't have anything done to it yet. do idk. i have heard they had these problems wen they weren't worked hard. dad drives like a granny.

·
Registered
207 Posts
why would a shop doing an oil change remove his turbo housing and inspect it?

·
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why would a shop doing an oil change remove his turbo housing and inspect it?
the check engine light came on so they pluged it up and that is what it said. carbon buildup.

·
Registered
207 Posts
there is a carbon buildup sensor in the turbo? well thats just impressive.

·
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is a carbon buildup sensor in the turbo? well thats just impressive.
i guess so. they got too much electronic stuff on it. it will have to be replaced in the long run probley. just like every freakin sensor.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Did it throw a p02262, turbo boost not detected? By carbon they probably mean soot build up on the sliding nozzle of the turbo. And ya need to keep that EB on and get it out on the highway every now and then.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you do not work the truck it will build up soot on the turbo thats from not running the RPMs It's not spooling the turbo up.2000 RPMS she will spool there.MY wifes 08 gets run has no problem with soot.:rof

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I am having that problem and allways run eb and all highway at 2100 rpm's or better. Mine also does not throw any codes.

I wish it would so I could get a new turbo without hassle.

They changed the turbo's spec on the new one.:beer

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
You won't see carbon or soot buildup in the front side of the turbo regardless.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
lol...so thats not where the carbon buildup sensor is? (is noone picking up my sarcasm)

·
4,669 Posts
I noticed soot on my turbo too. when i removed my silencer ring the turbo was black, and i get on my truck hard all the time, is this a problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just took my 08 in for a reflash It was AP for Automatic Trans Said it would make it go to high idle and would show when it goes to regen on overhead Mech also said run with EB on and would not have any problem with Turbo Havent drove it much since then and havent seen it on overhead When it does come up will let you guys know Only have 1950 miles on truck

·
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he is on the highway every day about. me and him take turns driving to work and we have a 30 min drive. but idk. he has started driving it harder and i've always drivin it hard. so we will see wat happens. thanks guys.

·
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You won't see carbon or soot buildup in the front side of the turbo regardless.....
it threw the code again. their gonna take the turbo off and look at the EGR valve or something. i didn't no wat they were talkin about.

·
Registered
165 Posts
hate to sound stupid, but what is the EB?

·
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hate to sound stupid, but what is the EB?
Engine/exaust Break. i was confused at first cuz i'm use to callin them a jake brake. :lol3:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ford and chevy have had this problem also cause they both introduced a variable in 04 but dodge just now has a variable. My dads ford keeps having egr problems, but it can be cleaned and he plans to clean it himself next time instead of paying 300 dollars. I suggest finding a good chemical cleaner for it... a welding supply maybe? Then clean it about every 10k miles. The turbo slides on an axis, and if you dont ever spool it then it wont slide and remove the soot from the unused areas. Either dont leave it idling, or let them load a high idle program and set the idle speed different whenever you idle. Make sure at least every couple of hundred miles you just really hammer down on it. Also, it is really good to put decompression on it. This means get up to about 80 and press tow haul, or use 1 or 2 on the gear shift (assuming its auto). Also use the exhaust brake regularly when coming to a stop. This will save your brake pads too anyway. The turbo is on there for a reason, use the damn thing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts