Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a cover for my truck. dealer (Dave Smith) carries A.R.E. and Raider brands.

Any advice or input on these?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Personally I like the Fold-A-Cover I am on the second one on two different trucks and they perform exactly as I need. It can be had through the Dodge parts with the rams head logo, but it is a fold-a-cover. Dave Smith can get them and install it and include it in the trucks price. I think I paid about 500 dollars less install last year.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can they be easily removed if necessary?

·
Registered
461 Posts
4 bolts and the entire Fold-A-Cover is off the truck. basically there are a set of rails that attach to the top of the bed through the stake pockets that are semi- permanently attached. Then two clips are mounted and form part of the hinge system for the front 1/4 of the cover. If you look down from the top the cover is divided into quarters, with the back 3 panels able to fold up on it self creating one area up near the truck cab that is still covered. Locks on both the front and rear panels allow you to lock it up fairly securely. Like I said, I am on my second one and they work perfect for my application. I can even leave the 5th hitch in the truck when not towing and close the cover.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use a Retrax which rolls into a cannister, very smooth working and a good connection system. I had a fold a cover for 2 yrs. but it ended up on the side of the road somewhere in New Mexico, strong wind and speed got under it and good bye, cost 700.00 to repair the front of the enclosed cargo trailer, never went back to see what the cover looked like.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I have had my retrax for a year and it's great however I now need to haul my dog back there so I have a cap on order. If anyone near MD is interested in one from a 2007 short bed I'll sell it for a great price and I can ship it as well

·
Registered
316 Posts
I love my ARE tonneau. Fits and looks sharp painted to match.

I really don't care for the looks of the retractables or soft bed caps. They are comparably expensive and here in the hot southwest deserts they don't hold up anywheres near as well as a hard top in my opinion.

The vinyl, fabric, etc. tops are indeed easier to fold or remove if you need to gain height for hauling large items. The ARE top takes just a few minutes to unbolt and slide off but takes two people to lift it off and store someplace.

For me the looks and durability are well worth it for the ARE top. My 2nd choice was SnugTop. I did not care for Gaylords mounting and hinge system.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Jeepstang, send me the info on the cover. I am looking for a cap or tonneau for mine too and I'm leaning towards a tonneau. You say great price and those are magic words for me. No shipping necessary either.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ordered the ARE topper (best one they make) in early October. The frameless window would not close on the tailgate and workmanship was not right - holes drilled wrong that looked like crap, etc. Returned it and the second one came with the rear window assembly fitted into the cap crooked. Two months went by, got sick of it and got a refund. ARE was supposed to be one of the best. May Leer? Maybe a tonneau cover would be better - harder for them to mess up. I'm driving with an open bed for now.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Me too and that is definitely not good for mileage. I have a Dodge tailgate spoiler which is supposed to help but covering the bed definitely will help too....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone have opinions on the Leer series tonneau covers? The 800, 700, and 550 all pretty much look the same to me. I want a dry place to toss suit cases into and have a system that is easy to install/uninstall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a Leer 100R on last year. I love it, no complaints, water tight. There are more expensive models with fancier looking windows, but they do not open as far as the basic 100R. Good paint match too. Lifetime paint and structure warranty. Paid around $1300.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ordered the ARE topper (best one they make) in early October. The frameless window would not close on the tailgate and workmanship was not right - holes drilled wrong that looked like crap, etc. Returned it and the second one came with the rear window assembly fitted into the cap crooked. Two months went by, got sick of it and got a refund. ARE was supposed to be one of the best. May Leer? Maybe a tonneau cover would be better - harder for them to mess up. I'm driving with an open bed for now.

I looked only at tonneaus and not shells. Looked at ARE, Snugtop, Gaylord and Leer. By far the ARE was much better made with better hinge assemblies and mounting methods. Mine fits and looks great.

My 2nd choice would be Snugtop. It's also well made but I liked the fit of ARE's top of the line tonneau.

Gaylord and Leer I ranked bottom. They are not bad tops but hinge and mounting rails were not as well made and I did not like the latching method.

Look for a tonneau with single key latch and solid bar latch (not wire cable).

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Just ordered the Retrax, awaiting installation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
4 bolts and the entire Fold-A-Cover is off the truck. basically there are a set of rails that attach to the top of the bed through the stake pockets that are semi- permanently attached. Then two clips are mounted and form part of the hinge system for the front 1/4 of the cover. If you look down from the top the cover is divided into quarters, with the back 3 panels able to fold up on it self creating one area up near the truck cab that is still covered. Locks on both the front and rear panels allow you to lock it up fairly securely. Like I said, I am on my second one and they work perfect for my application. I can even leave the 5th hitch in the truck when not towing and close the cover.
DO NOT BUY FOLD-A-COVER FROM STEFFENS AUTOMOTIVE! You will never be able to remove it and reinstall it because of an obvious flaw that they know about, but refuse to correct. All the mounting hardware is custom machined aluminum, and all the fasteners are stainless, creating a dissimilar metal reaction that oxidizes the fasteners into the hardware causing the 1/4" Stainless bolts to break off if you try to remove them. Not only that, but they sell replacement hardware kits with about $20 worth of materials for $100 plus $12 shipping! So a couple years after paying over $800 for a Fold-a cover, if you need to remove or adjust your cover in any way, you will be forced to pay $112 for a new hardware kit made out of the same faulty materials.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I had a Roll-n-Lock tonneau on my truck for about a year, then I replaced it with a SnugTop shell. For me, the shell is a lot more convenient and makes the truck much more usable compared to a tonneau. Mainly because we can put the dogs in dog crates in the back, along with bikes and luggage, and have the cab to ourselves. With the tonneau, we had to fold the crates up, shuffle the bikes around to get them to fit, and the dogs had to ride in the cab with us.

Really depends on what your needs/wants are, just because a shell works best for me doesn't mean it's what's best for everyone. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts