Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cant spin tires and power cuts out!

2493 Views 32 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  mathews8pt
if i stand on the brakes and try to make the tires spin or build boost my truck starts cuttin out at around 1500rpm and sounds like its hitting a rev limiter or defueling, the wierd thing is i used to be able to spin the tires and build boost but now i cant for some reason, im thinking that the lift pump is getting weak? any thoughts? thanks
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· I wanna go fast...
3,393 Posts
Sounds like you need to check your fuel psi, and check for codes. Turn key on, off, on, off, on and leave on. Look in the odometer window and write down the codes. There are two cycles, wait for a moment after the first P DONE.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
P0500No Vehicle Speed Sens Signal

there's the code...

2001 SCLB, FBD 5'' straight pipe, Quadzilla XZT+, Isspro's, Leveling kit, 315/75/16 Dick Cepek Mud Country's, BHAF w/ custom heat shield, silencer ring MIA.

i REALLY hope ya have a good lift pump and gauge with the quad dude..:doh:

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where is that sensor located and i am runnin a stock pump didnt think there was a need for a larger one

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
where is that sensor located and i am runnin a stock pump didnt think there was a need for a larger one
i dunno bout the sensor, but, if i was you, i'd get a Raptor or Air Dog like RIGHT NOW, or un hook the chip till ya get the funds to get one...:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,816 Posts
I believe that sensor should be mounted on the top or the side of the rear diff housing. It was on my truck.

· Registered
574 Posts
congratulations, your killing your VERY expensive injection pump (VP44).... check your fuel pressure right away.

good, consistent fuel pressure (10PSI min. 20PSI max.) is a must with the VP44, it uses fuel for cooling and lubrication:banghead: not to mention dodge was nice enough to supply us with a horrible excuse for a lift pump, get it replaced!

· Premium Member
244 Posts
buddys truck tonight at the track went to 2600rpm spooling it up.... i know it has to see speed to let it past a certain point but mine wont run past 2k..........he has almost the same thing as me.....(i have a lil bit bigger stuff) but still its pissing me off

· Registered
152 Posts
hmm no one knows the answer IT IS NOT HIS FUEL PRESSURE what about torque management?:doh: your truck wont let you spin the tires it will back off before they break loose :thumbsup:
I was thinking torque manaement,but he says got them to spin before.

· Registered
164 Posts
congratulations, your killing your VERY expensive injection pump (VP44).... check your fuel pressure right away.

good, consistent fuel pressure (10PSI min. 20PSI max.) is a must with the VP44, it uses fuel for cooling and lubrication:banghead: not to mention dodge was nice enough to supply us with a horrible excuse for a lift pump, get it replaced!
Dont be too hard on him. Me and the 1st owner of my truck killed my vp until realized and edge comp and stock lp weren't a good combo.:banghead:
But ya check your fuel pressure with a gauge asap

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
hmm no one knows the answer IT IS NOT HIS FUEL PRESSURE what about torque management?:doh: your truck wont let you spin the tires it will back off before they break loose :thumbsup:
sucks for y'all auto folks...:buttkick::hehe:

BUT, he still NEEDS a better lift pump, or to unhook the chip till he gets one...:thumbsup:

I've got that code as well, umm when I was spinning my tires.
never said that it was the VP goin out(yet), just that he should get a better lp or unhook the chip till he does...

· Registered
1,816 Posts
I have heard that the 01 and 02's have some type of torque management in the trans/ecm or pcm somewhere. I would suggest finding someone with a SMarty to try out. IF they have the revo tune, you can turn it up down and all around

· Premium Member
244 Posts
i have a smarty revo and its turned all the way up still wont rev over 2k...got a couple of suggestions about the converter stall too low......

· Registered
175 Posts
Pretty sure the problem is right infront of our faces. Don't overlook the obvious. TQ management on 01 and 02's can really throw you for a loop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.