Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I got the bug and I pulled the intake off gutted the torque tube and used some plastic epoxy to reseal it, then I got to the turbo I pulled and pryed at the snap ring for about 2 hours couldn't get it out all I did was gouge up the turbo housing. So I got the idea and used some tin snips cut the actual silencer ring then used plyers to pull it out and left the snap ring in place. Anyone ever done this or think this could cause some damage?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i fought with the snap ring as well. i thought it was in a grove, but it is not, you just need to pull it stright out. it just puts pressure on teh ring to hold it against the houseing.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
mines in there pretty good too. i gave up after 15 minutes. my second gens came off really easy.

·
Registered
950 Posts
i used two screwdrivers after about the third try it was out. i would not cut anything just my .02

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just get a bent pick (you can pic em up at an autopart store or even walmart real cheap)... thats what I used and mine came right out... I did put a really small scratch on the housing tho.. Just gotta finesse it! lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the silencer ring out and I have driven the truck for 2 days with the snap ring still in place, just curious to see if I have to pull it or will it hurt anything if it stays in there?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
It won't hurt anything being in there. You need to do the two screwdriver thing to get it out though. I have a spare silencer ring if you want to replace yours...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah I like the silencer ring being out, I was just confused because on my old second gen it took me 5 minutes to pry it and the snap ring out and this one wouldn't budge an inch. But I like the silencer ring being gone, next im thinking about doing a willy's intake to get some more whistle :party018: just didn't know if the snap ring could cause any damage

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Yeah. It's definitely easier in a 2nd gen but once you do it in a 3rd gen and you see the way the snap ring ends are tapered you will understand and it will be easy after that...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
one side of the ring sticks out and you can get a small flat screwdriver in there to pry it up an out with no scratchin of the houseing

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Mine took 10 mins or so, but i got it!

sounds sick now

·
Registered
2 Posts
i took out my silencer ring yesterday of my 3rd gen, took me bout 5 mins and then i decided to just bend the lip out on the ring, then i grabbed it with a pair of pliers and twisted it clockwise, the ring came out imidiately......its no good any more, but i love the whistle....and i also gutted the plastic cylinder that is connected to the intake hose running from my air box, i like it alot.......but what is this "snap ring" you guys are talking about....i didnt see anything extra in mine to take out, im new at this too, so maybe im not looking in the right direction.....can you guys help me please......

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Just get a bent pick (you can pic em up at an autopart store or even walmart real cheap)... thats what I used and mine came right out... I did put a really small scratch on the housing tho.. Just gotta finesse it! lol
Thats what I was going to say.... took me 30 sec to get it out with a pick and a small screwdriver... then my silenver ring just fell out.. guess it didin't want to be in there that bad... Sounds great with it out.. now just need to do the mods that cost money :)

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
One end of the snap ring is beveled in such a way as to allow a small flat tip screw driver to fit under it. Then using another flattip work your way around the ring until it pops off.

The other end of the snap ring is beveled to but in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tried to get mine out during the oil change today and could get the end lifted high enough to start easing it out. I think what made it harder is that I cant see the ends because they are in the 10-11:00 position as I look at the front of the turbo. Every time I tried, the screw driver would come off the end of the snap ring. I got to being afraid of breaking something and have it fall into the turbo. Unless I can figure out something easier, I think mine is going to stay on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im the same way^. i got the bright idea to take mine out the other day and i didnt have nothing but trouble. i fought it for about an hour and a half and didnt do anything but scratch the housing. i tried a small pick and different flat heads,( didnt have any luck) Whats the trick?? i finally just gave up and put my intake tube back on before i got mad and broke things. mine is in there like extremely tight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i used a knife and it came right out

·
Registered
40 Posts
What about WD-40 to make it easier?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I decided to try it on my 04. Took me a total of 5 minutes. Used a knife to pry up on the beveled end of the snap ring and pull it out. Came out like nothing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts