Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ok I can't reach a plugin and on top of that if I do someone will steal my cord, stupid sons a es!

Anyways any ideas what I can do to get it to start on cold days?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
And extension cord? And devising a method to secure your cord while your doing it. There's really no other way to plug it in.

Are you running additives in your fuel for the winter? That's your first step

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And extension cord? And devising a method to secure your cord while your doing it. There's really no other way to plug it in.

Are you running additives in your fuel for the winter? That's your first step

Yes I have have been putting a Mix of things between 911 and fuel supplement. I switch every other tank of fuel

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
Plugging in is not required. Can be a nice to have, but not a requirement well unless you are in Canada or Alaska.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
what diesel additives should i be looking for? im unfamiliar ( will read) but since it's brought up.. mines outside in 0* weather sometimes here in NYS

·
Registered
412 Posts
Open the hood, run the extension cord down in front of the radiator/behind the bumper. Plug it in, close the hood completely, lock your doors the thief would have to break into your truck, pop the hood, or cut the cord and buy a new end and wire it up, Just sucks that you have to open your hood every morning before you leave but its better than buying a new extension cord every day. Roll the cord up and store it under the back seat so you have it with you.

I have had quite a few diesels, from Power Strokes to the old Detroit/Chevy, and now a Cummins my brother had a Duramax... We have never plugged any of them up and I have never had any cold start issues, right now it is about -5 and mine started within the first 2 seconds of cranking, idled up and switched to 3cyl. Maintain your batteries, glow plugs, and fuel, run lighter weight oil in cold weather months. And always allow the engine time to run and warm before taking off down the road.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Should start without the block heater down to -20*F or so... have to cycle the grids a couple times, but should start without issues. where are you, and how cold is it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Plugging in is not required. Can be a nice to have, but not a requirement well unless you are in Canada or Alaska.
What about Russia or Antarctica? I'm just an sometimes haha

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Ok I can't reach a plugin and on top of that if I do someone will steal my cord, stupid sons a es!

Anyways any ideas what I can do to get it to start on cold days?
How do I get mine to start on a cold day?
I turn the key. That's it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Long as you have good batteries and good fuel. Just cycle the grid heater youll be fine.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
My previous diesel truck (now rusted away) made me wait shivering for 45 seconds or so until the wait to start light went out. Then it would start on one cylinder and soon enough another joined in until all cylinders were firing. I suspected bad glow plugs (not a cummins) but did not want to spend the money to replace them as it was to close to the junkyard and it actually would start.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My previous diesel truck (now rusted away) made me wait shivering for 45 seconds or so until the wait to start light went out. Then it would start on one cylinder and soon enough another joined in until all cylinders were firing. I suspected bad glow plugs (not a cummins) but did not want to spend the money to replace them as it was to close to the junkyard and it actually would start.
Ha, kinda reminds me of an old 7.3 IDI I had in a 89 ford once.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like the others have said a block heater is not a necessity for the truck to start. Having good, high cca batteries, clean solid electrical connections, a good starter, and functional grid heater are, however, necessary. My 02 fired off just as fast when it was -4 F out as it does when its 94 F out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi so far this winter my 00 started every time plugged in or not, I plug mine in when I can ,seems to be easier on her than strait cold start,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Instead of running the extension cord through the hood you could drive on top of a piece of the cord.. that should stop someone taking your cord. Coming from the country this is usually what I do if I am ever in a city.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Instead of running the extension cord through the hood you could drive on top of a piece of the cord.. that should stop someone taking your cord. Coming from the country this is usually what I do if I am ever in a city.
Some people don't steal your extension cord...

Some people just yank it out to be a jerk.
Some people cut it up to be a jerk.

I'm imagining that he can't plug it in because he stays at an apartment or townhouse and has to run the cord across a common area like a parking lot or sidewalk.

A co-worker of mine used to work for Comcast Cable... There were a lot of neighborhoods in SouthEast Washington D.C. that no Comcast guys would go to because people would throw rocks at the truck because they thought that the cable guys were there to unhook the illegal cable hookups.
He had a partner that everyone called, "The Snowman" because that's all you'd see after he was done dealing with your connection. He was responsible for cutting people's cable off in the ghetto and he'd do it too. He was a little crazy.
So my co-worker starts his route with "The Snowman" and they cruise past a rowhouse, they see cable hanging out of a 2nd floor window and hooked to the cable terminal in the grass. An obvious illegal cable hookup and a house that "The Snowman" goes to on a regular basis.
"The Snowman" backed the truck up to the house and stepped out, telling my co-worker to wait in the truck. "The Snowman" got back in the truck after a minute and rolled down both windows. Then he starts driving with a big grin on his face.
They get about 20 feet down the road before you hear stuff start falling over in the house and banging and crashing. My co-worker looked out the window and saw that "The Snowman" had tied the cable to the truck's bumper, then he saw a flat screen TV fall out the window followed by everything else hooked to it... Cable Box, DVD player, video game systems...
My co-worker decided never to work with "The Snowman" again because he might get shot at.

Someone might decide to pull a "Snowman" on your extension cord.
Doesn't matter to them if they rip it off or leave it behind. If it's ripped up, you'll have to buy another cord regardless.

·
Registered
21,493 Posts
First get an apartment in a better neighborhood and a Remington.

Reactions: pmccue

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
First get an apartment in a better neighborhood and a Remington.
I also live in Virginia, not in SouthEast D.C.
Funny thing is that guns are illegal in Washington D.C. and yet you're more likely to get shot there.

I don't particularly like the Remington 870. I'm going for the Mossberg 590 because it's got ambidextrous safety. I'm left handed.

I don't live in an apartment, I have a house. Garage is too small for the Cummins and my toolbox and stuff.
I still don't plug my Cummins in all that often.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So cycling your grid heaters won't be harmful In
Any way? It's often -20 Celsius here so we always plug in bug just wondering about the effects of multiple cycles

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.