Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Can't get oil filter off

13K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  Motorolanut 
#1 ·
I just bought my truck and went to change the oil. My issue is I can't get the filter off, I've tried a strap tool but it dented the filter it so tight. I just filled it with $60 of T6 and didn't change the filter. Anyone have a trick to get that thing off? I've never had this issue with my other cummins.

#2 ·
I remove the plastic wheel well liner first. It takes two minutes. I use a pair of filter pliers or large Channer Locks to loosen the filter from the side.

There is something (I can't rememeber what) in the way, but if you stagger the handles to the left and right of it, you can turn it a little. Move the pliers back and another eighth of a turn and it's loose enough to remove by hand.

I drop the filter down slighlty and then pull it out over the tire. Maybe one or two drops of oil drip off.

#3 ·
Normally I can just unscrew them from bottom using that filter strap that connect to a 1/4" drive but whomever put this on must have used a damn torque wrench. Problem now is I have 3 gallons of new Rotella t6 in it with a dented filter and I really don't want to lose all that oil. I don't have a way to drain and save unfortunately and I'm not sure if the dented filter will cause an issue until next oil change.

#6 ·
Id much rather lose 60 bucks worth of oil then having a piece of the broken filter elements run through my engine lol. But ha take the inner fender off get pliers and try to get that stubborn filter off get a strap wrench you can use a half inch drive ratchet on it with a snipe even.

2007.5....6.7L....4" turbo back with muffler....EGR Delete....H&S Mini Maxx.

#7 ·
I got it off..what a pain, the previous owner must have been Rambo. .took the liner out and got a different set of oil filter pliers. .the straps wouldn't work as there wasn't enough space to work with as the strap has play in it.

#10 ·
Geno's Garage sells an "END Cap Filter Wrench" that fits the Flutes on the Fleetguard filters such as LF16035 and LF3972. This fits a 3/8" ratchet or extension, the wrench sells for $6.95 part number LC61590.

Jim W.

#12 ·
When I bought my truck, the dealer must have used an impact wrench to put the filter on. It was stuck like a mofo.

Since then I have only done my own changes and have had zero issues getting the filter off.

#14 ·
I will look into getting one of those..I bought a cheap one at Oreilly's that was plastic and all it did was break/strip out..Thanks for the responses.

#15 ·
I always buy the K&N oil filters. They have a 7/8" nut built into the filter on the bottom making it super easy to get off with a socket and long extension. Oil changes are a breeze with them things.

#21 ·
Best stubborn oil filter removal tool I've ever seen in my 62 years :D

#17 ·
When I get a tough one like that I just rap a screw driver through the side.

#19 ·
I had that issue on my 5.9 when I had the new engine built. I removed the inner fender and used the screw driver method. It's only happened once and def don't want it to happen again!

#25 · (Edited)
Yes, that's the wrench for the Cummins filter.
I got it at Geno's Garage.
I think it was 5 or 6 bucks

#27 · (Edited)
Oil Filter removal

I just remove the air filter, lid and the holder to access the oil filter just behind it.
Lots of room and your not on your back.
Note: It is a good time to check the status of the air filter.
Then use a flat blade screw driver like a chisle on the top, outside ring of oil filter and tap with a hammer to follow or unscrew. The trick is to hold the screwer on the right angle and just denting the oil filter (not cutting) until it moves about a 1/4 of a turn is all it take to finish the job by hand.
This a lot nicer place to work on top of the engine and not under that full filter.
I does this on all my oil filter changes. LOL
Kim

#31 ·
These filters don't drip much oil at all upon removal. A lot of the oil seems to drain out of them.

#32 ·
If you have access to an air chisel they work pretty decent over a screw driver it shocks it quick and will usually break them free before they rip up to bad. Also punch a small hole in the bottom of the filter and let the oil drain before using a screw driver or chisel it's a lot cleaner

Reactions: dozer12216
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.