Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says I cant really decide between the two.
Either way I want the CTS monitor for gauges.
Not looking for huge power just want better mileage and be able to get on it when I want to. I like the on the fly of the edge and safety features it has. Can you update tire size on the edge? And which one will smoke less? Let me know what you think.

·
Devil Dog Diesel
2,828 Posts
Edge JWA n CTS is my vote and what I'm installing in few days!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Justed ordered a CtS, egt probe, and dash pod. My question is smarty s0-6 vs jr.

·
Registered
361 Posts
By the time you buy the cable "kit" the dash pod and the Edge CTS , you have a VERY expensive set of cheesy gauges. If your running any kind of boost #'s outside of the MAP sensors range and/or a fooler, you will need the cable "kit" that has the pressure sensor as well as the EGT probe.
I have no idea if the data logging works as I haven't used it yet (the main reason I went with the CTS for my "gauges").
My 1st CTS crashed within a week (screen went blank). I called Edge at first on a Friday afternoon. At 5;00 pm their phone system ended the call I was in the middle of with a tech. Talked to Thoroughbred immediately after and they promised a follow up call the next morning. Saturday morning Thoroughbred called and they were all over it, starting the return/exchange process. Got a break at work the following Tuesday and called Edge. Edge did take ownership and overnight-ed a replacement "after" I "jumped up and down" a bit which took Thoroughbred back out of the process. Politely but firmly cornered Edge a couple of times on that Tuesday in regard to the phone "shut down" the prior Friday and asked a couple of times what happened to the good customer service I experienced in 2008-09 when I was playing with my '03. Never did get an answer.
CTS #2 works, but is IMO slow to boot up, occasionally won't boot up completely, once in a great while it wont shut down, gives just enough ability to make some changes to the layout to be cool for like a week.
Haven't driven a Smarty equipped truck. I have owned and driven a friends Edge equipped as well as Bully Dog equipped. "Seat of the pants" Edge programming is boring and runs hot EGT's.
What to do...IMO...good gauge set, programming other than Edge. Saftey features are your right foot and paying attention, not cheesy electronics.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So heres the real question then. I'll plan on getting a smarty but if I get the S0-6 POD would I be okay without getting the CTS monitor for awhile as long as I keep it on lower settings? I just dont have the funds for the CTS monitor and Smarty pod. The CTS monitor is like $600 so itd have to wait a few months.

·
Esquire
14,611 Posts
So heres the real question then. I'll plan on getting a smarty but if I get the S0-6 POD would I be okay without getting the CTS monitor for awhile as long as I keep it on lower settings? I just dont have the funds for the CTS monitor and Smarty pod. The CTS monitor is like $600 so itd have to wait a few months.
Yes, just keep her low and right foot easy.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
As long as you set it back stock before towing heavy it will be fine. You'd have to push it extremely hard with the smarty on 9 to hurt anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont tow with my truck, its my commuter so that shouldnt be a problem. What settings should I stay away from until I get the CTS monitor?

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
I dont tow with my truck, its my commuter so that shouldnt be a problem. What settings should I stay away from until I get the CTS monitor?
I don't wanna stir up a stink but you won't hurt anything other than the trans if you beat on it with the smarty cranked up. Egts aren't that big of a deal unloaded with an otherwise stock truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats the thing I dont want to be to hard on my trans too just want good mpgs and when I get right pedal happy Ill turn it up for a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.