Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about this service interval item. Assuming that i will get the PERFORM SERVICE message at 67K miles... prompting to change CCV filter and clean the EGR cooler and valve.

What happens if I just reset the overhead and ignore all the cleanings? Can I just keep running until the CCV pressure sensor throws an actual fault code due to restrictions? (Assuming the filter still has some life remaining in it) versus blindly replacing the filter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just been resetting it haven't decided if I'm gutting it or not don't really want to buy another filter if I don't need it

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you haven't replace it yet why not just do it take 5 mins and the filter is only 60 bucks but yea you can just clear it

·
Registered
503 Posts
I didn't feel like gutting mine so I replaced the filter and put on a Glacier Diesel ccv kit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
(Assuming the filter still has some life remaining in it) versus blindly replacing the filter.
I wouldn't go off the recommended service mileage of 67,500 to replace if this is what you decide to do. I just gutted mine this last weekend with 63,000 on mine, and the filter material was oozing oil out of it when I was ripping it out. IMO gut it. You don't have to worry about restriction or ever buying another over priced filter.

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Are we being cheap for once?? Guess you use Amsoil in everything!! Required service is just that for proper longevity of product.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had to replace mine at 64k, it was full.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are we being cheap for once?? Guess you use Amsoil in everything!! Required service is just that for proper longevity of product.
I guess I was over simplifying my question about the CCV; valve and cooler.... I've already bought a replacement CCV filter so changing that is a given. Just didn't know how long after the overhead message can you run til then. So can you skip cleaning the EGR cooler and valve? I'm debating even doing that versus just unplugging the valve and blocking the crossover.

BTW - I always use Valvoline Premium Blue for my oil changes. Not sure if that makes me cheap or not Dozer...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think your on to something with the blocking off of the egr. Where in Indiana are you?

Reactions: Michigandodgeguy

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just gutted mine also. No harm no foul. Plus no more expensive filter.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I replaced mine at 50K. I wouldn't keep that filter in any longer then you have to. The more oil that is saturated in that filter is more oil going into your turbo and gumming stuff up. I would not ignore the service indicator but I also wouldn't wait for it to come on either. Its a 10 minute job to check it

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Its a 10 minute job.. I gutted mine and did the gdp ccv kit.. Then I smelled oil in the cab, so I put a filter back in and its better now..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I certainly was trying to encourage removing an epa mandated emissions system:rof:hehe:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good timing on this question as I just did mine this weekend.

Got the 67,000 mile perform service message.

CCV filter definitely needed replacement . Very easy to do.

Pulled of EGR valve and found it very clean considering all of the warnings I have read. 15 minutes in the degrease bath, an old toothbrush, and back on the truck.( see Gino's garage for good document)

Based on how clean the valve was I chose to skip the more time consuming cooler clean.

Wondering if the Lucas fuel additive has helped keep that burned off. Anyone had similar experience

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
The guys at cummins power recommended not waiting to 64k to change it they recommended 36k.
and by the looks of mine and others at 64k they are right.

I'm going to gut my old,ccv and do the delete.
thinking that I might have oil running into the turbo gives me the shivers.

the lucus fuel additive did nothing....
There are much better choices for fuel additives for your diesel.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Its a 10 minute job.. I gutted mine and did the gdp ccv kit.. Then I smelled oil in the cab, so I put a filter back in and its better now..

Sounds like an over priced kit, if you have oil smell in the cab.
3/4 heater hose and a few zip ties is cheep and you can route
anywhere you want... no smell at all

·
Registered
897 Posts
CCV perform service

The guys at cummins power recommended not waiting to 64k to change it they recommended 36k.
and by the looks of mine and others at 64k they are right.

I'm going to gut my old,ccv and do the delete.
thinking that I might have oil running into the turbo gives me the shivers.

the lucus fuel additive did nothing....
There are much better choices for fuel additives for your diesel.
I did the GDP conversion at around 48K and replaced the filter at that time (the filter wasn't that bad, gray, not jet black) . I'm at 62K now and I am waiting for the magical 67,500 to appear at my overhead to change it again. I prefer to leave the CCV in and since my truck is not a DD, it takes me awhile to get to the mileage. I use my 'rig' to go to my ranch in the Hill Country every 3-4 weeks. (450-500 mile round trip). I am going to replace every 30K from now on...I have had no issues what so ever and there is no more oil going into my turbo and my oil stays pretty clean, I change it at 4-5K, just me. My $.02 P.S I use POWERSERVICE only for the lubricity, have been using it since my 04.5'-don't trust the ULSD!

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Sounds like an over priced kit, if you have oil smell in the cab.
3/4 heater hose and a few zip ties is cheep and you can route
anywhere you want... no smell at all
You're right it is an overpriced kit.. But the smell was from the gutted filter, it's all better not, kit still on.. I have a few issues with routing it down the frame, but I won't get into it lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would appreciate your opinion on a better fuel product. I started using it when a friend of mine, who is a long haul trucker, gave me have a gallon and said "use this with every tank of fuel"

Thanks for your advice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts